Competition Next Door

tbphotos

I live in a very nice townhome complex of 64 units, each with an enclosed garage. My neighbor (also the stata chairman) who I see regularly was telling me about another gentleman in the complex who also is very much into scrolling. This afternoon while walking to the corner store, I was walking by his place and there he was, in his garage, packing some things into a cardboard box, so I stopped and introduced myself to him as he is a fairly new resident here. I immediately saw that he was very much into fretwork and he pulled out a large box, opened it, and began showing some of the things he has made. I told him that I was a 'newbie' scroller of only a couple of months and that I was enjoying it very much. He said "Wait here just a moment" and he went into his house. He came back out a moment later with a dozen or more scroll saw magazines and handed them to me, telling me to take them home and have a look through them. We had a nice chat and I told him which unit I was in, and told him to drop over one day.. he said he would do so. In his garage/workshop he also has a 4-drawer filing cabinet full of nothing but scroll saw patterns. All this after I just got home from a local supplier today to buy a foot switch for my saw. I didn't get too much cutting done today, but all in all it was a good day, meeting a next door neighbor that loves and does the same thing. Our townhome complex has its own community hall, and the strata chairman told me that Peter (my new found neighbor) and myself should put on a show this summer in the community hall. Hey.. sounds like a plan.

Good for you Trevor it's always nice to have someone close to compare work with and to get a few tips from. You never know he might have some interesting patterns that aren't possible to purchase anymore.These are what I always like to talk to other scrollers about because there are some great patterns out there that I would love to cut. Don't get me wrong,that's not the only reason that I like to meet and talk to other scrollers but it is one of the benefits. Plus if he has been into for years and you've only been into it for a few months there should a lot of pointers that he can give you. I know that I sure would have liked to have someone to show me the ropes when I started out.

Len