Small Memory Box

Ron Johnson

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Really pretty, Ron and great choice of wood.  Where does on find Holly big enough to use for boxes...

Hi Paul. Where I’m located I purchase all my exotic woods through Windsor Plywood. I recently purchased 3 five foot lengths x 5” wide and 1” thick. Their only store that had stock was in Saskatoon, so I bought what was left. One of my favourite woods. Check in your area the dealers that stock exotic woods. Should be more readily available there being it’s grown in the USA. THANK YOU. 

7 minutes ago, Ron Johnson said:

Hi Paul. Where I’m located I purchase all my exotic woods through Windsor Plywood. I recently purchased 3 five foot lengths x 5” wide and 1” thick. Their only store that had stock was in Saskatoon, so I bought what was left. One of my favourite woods. Check in your area the dealers that stock exotic woods. Should be more readily available there being it’s grown in the USA. THANK YOU. 

Humm, I haven't seen it at our local Windsor Plywood store.  May have to ask them, maybe they can get it.  It is not readily available at any of the wood stores I frequent, but I haven't asked any.  It is pretty rare to find a holly tree big enough to cut lumber from.  And it grows around the Northwest.  I have one in my yard, I planted maybe 9 - 10 years ago.  I can see I am not going to live long enough for it to grow big enough for any type of lumber.☹️

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Humm, I haven't seen it at our local Windsor Plywood store.  May have to ask them, maybe they can get it.  It is not readily available at any of the wood stores I frequent, but I haven't asked any.  It is pretty rare to find a holly tree big enough to cut lumber from.  And it grows around the Northwest.  I have one in my yard, I planted maybe 9 - 10 years ago.  I can see I am not going to live long enough for it to grow big enough for any type of lumber.☹️

If you have a Windsor Plywood store just check. Most stock the exotic woods and will be glad to bring in what ever you wish if they don’t have it in stock. 

4 hours ago, JimErn said:

Ron, Great box, very nice professional work - something I can aspire to.  But, I have been studying, researching and puzzling and I am lost.

you use something a lot, what is it?  I am referring to the material you use as an accent and in this box as a spline in the corners.

Hi Jim. The splines are ⅛” thick wood banding inlayed. Did the same on lid along with a strip of Blood wood planed down to an ⅛” and inlayed into Holly. Some wood workers make their own banding. I’ll make plane banding and purchase the fancy banding from Lee Valley that is available in several patterns and widths. Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

That box is unbelievably beautiful. It tales more than good equipment to do such masterful work. That being said what equipment do you use? Lots of talk about scroll saws but not much said about other woodworking equipment.

Hi les. When it comes to tools I prefer working with hand tools over power. Hand tools gives me the quietness, feel of the wood, and no breathing dust. Hand tools I'm referring to are hand planes, hand routers, spoke shaves, scrapers, chisels, Japaneese saws and etc. So hand tools are my first choice and the older tools top my preference. Power tools will speed up a certain process but I get more satisfaction at the end of a project havimg doing most of it by hand.