Polar Bear Video

jbrowning

This is my first video of me scroll sawing. This is cut out on my Hegner with a FDUR5 blade. The next one I will try a size 7 blade and zoom out a little bit also. I will be displaying these on my tablet at my craft shows I go to, to show the puzzles are cut out on scroll saw.

https://youtu.be/xLwIWMuGhSo

I am open to suggestions on how to make the videos better. Also I did not record the audio because I had my shop vac and Wren Air Cleaner going.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by jbrowning

1. Pull 5-6 screen shots of various sections of the process, making sure that at least one of them shows assembling the puzzle, then print, insert into a simple frame, and post in various but prominent places around your booth. Another option may be to align them side to side, from start to finish, in your highest visibility yet out of the way area.

2. Edit the video to no more than 3 minutes, showing aspects of the cut, with the last 10-20 seconds of final assembly. Someone interested in seeing the process likely won't stand around for 24 minutes to see the end result, but they will stick around for a few minutes. Loop this video so that you can stay focused on visitors.

3. Whether you reshoot the video or edit this one, use sections without your hands in the way. Ensure that the video is focused on the puzzle cutting process.

4. Consider adding music to the video. Don't try speaking and describing the process, as this would be lost in the noise of the fair/event/show. Music will gain attention without needing to be clearly heard.

These are the things that I would do to gain the most marketing mileage from your efforts.

Edited by jerrye

I don't have much to add... just wanted to say that the video view is pretty good.. I see a lot of people doing videos and they do not show any details of the cutting action and the lines on the pattern.. I use my cell phone to do my videos.. I tape my phone to the top of the lens of my Magnifier light.. Make for tough cutting for me.. but the view is exactly what I see while sawing..  What makes it a bit harder for me is my phone screen is small.. and I'm covering up my magnifier lens with the phone.. so I'm cutting looking through my small phone screen.. instead of my larger 5" lens.. plus I think my phone screen light isn't nearly as bright.. Anyway.. I've had many many other scroll saw people comment on my video angle.. They like seeing the actual action happening..

You have found a way to keep the camera off to the side.. yet show the blade, cutting lines etc.. so great job with that..

Now I've gotta pick on you a bit.. You seem to struggle with putting your own puzzle together.. You puzzle guys should be charging more... after all you not only spend time cutting it.. you gotta spend 5-10 minutes putting it back together, 😂  

Edited by kmmcrafts

13 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Hello Les, I use Photoshop to edit my videos and that is doing the very basics to them. I'm not sure what other software is out there for editing video.

I recently entered Simply wooden creations scroll saw challenge with a video.  First time I ever did a video and it is hard

I used Shotcut to edit the video and I found out in a hurry that I do not have a fast enough computer to work on video and the sound at the same time.  Came out okay but not going to win any Oscar.

Shotcut is free and there are a ton of videos.

Fun to do and I am in the process of doing a compilation of hockey videos and some are from my cell phone that I have transferred to my computer.

There are apps for your phone if you're doing everything from your phone.. I have no experience with editing videos.. you get the raw cut and even sometimes actual live video depending on where the person is following me from, LOL My one son does editing but he downloads the video to the computer and then edits.. he also compresses it to upload fast.. since we have slower DSL internet.. My other son does it right from his phone with one of the free apps from the app store.. I downloaded an app to do it.. just can't get time to figure out how to edit, LOL

Hi, Jim,
If you are considering using a size 7 blade, I would definitely cut a few basic shapes of
puzzle pieces on scrap to experiment first.
I think you will find that the kerf of a size 7 is going to be much too large for puzzles.

I can't help with editing a video but, you will definitely want to keep it short to keep attention or
interest for any length of time.

God Bless! Spirithorse