Hegner In

bcdennis

The new Hegner was delivered yesterday.  It was easy to set up and get going.  My first impressions are that it's table is a little smaller than I would like but I can get use to it.  The foot pedal is tiny.  I'm getting better at the quick release clamp and getting the blade in to it's holders.  The release knob is tearing my hand up as the surface is very rough but nothing a glove didn't fix.  I tried it out on one of my largest projects and it handled it with ease.  Just took longer than usual but that will be fixed when the muscle memory kicks in. 

The only problem is that the center insert does not line up with the blade and the blade is rubbing/cutting into the right side of it.  I cannot for the life of me figure out anyway to adjust the blade back more towards the center.  Am I missing something?  Otherwise I am very impressed and look forward to cutting more projects out with it. 

23 minutes ago, bcdennis said:

The new Hegner was delivered yesterday.  It was easy to set up and get going.  My first impressions are that it's table is a little smaller than I would like but I can get use to it.  The foot pedal is tiny.  I'm getting better at the quick release clamp and getting the blade in to it's holders.  The release knob is tearing my hand up as the surface is very rough but nothing a glove didn't fix.  I tried it out on one of my largest projects and it handled it with ease.  Just took longer than usual but that will be fixed when the muscle memory kicks in. 

The only problem is that the center insert does not line up with the blade and the blade is rubbing/cutting into the right side of it.  I cannot for the life of me figure out anyway to adjust the blade back more towards the center.  Am I missing something?  Otherwise I am very impressed and look forward to cutting more projects out with it. 

I would give them a call. Great customer support.

Make sure the table is 90 degrees to a new unused blade. Do not go by degree markings or any detent stops. You can always make an auxillary table top to make the work surface larger. I did this with some 1/8" BB plywood.  Seal the wood and a coat of poly on top and slick enough to control your projects. The metal tabs that hold the blade holders, make sure they are straight or else the holders will be tilted and thus throw alignment of blade off. Make sure blade travels up and down in a straight plane.

I agree with Dave Monk, do not hesitate to call and ask questions.  I must have called them 5 times when I first got my Hegner.  I kept breaking blades and was getting frustrated with the saw.  They said they were going to work with me until I it was my favorite saw I had ever owned,,, and they did.  In my case it was all about learning the tension.  Not the saw's fault. 

About the "Quik clamp".  I bought a second one a while back and the surface on it is much rougher than the original one.  Not sure why they did that.  I was thinking of mounting it in a drill and running it on some sand paper to smooth it down a little, but I have gotten use to it. 

The little foot switch, I was leery of it at first, but now it is my favorite and if I ever have to buy another for my other scroll saw (it is a bigger pedal) I will get one like the one that came with my Hegner. 

The blade rubbing is not right and needs to be resolved.  I agree, check the the blade and table are 90°.  If not get on the phone with Advance Machinery. 

Contrats on the new saw... You will be happy, just takes a little getting use to.

Edited by Scrappile