Cutting boards

courtym74

3 hours ago, Denny Knappen said:

Very well done.  How was it working with resin?

It was a learning experience to say the least. I watched a ton of Youtube vids on it.  Still screwed up the first pour and had to sand out multiple bubbles in the first one I did. I discovered that the middle board of the smaller piece (the one that says Fantesca) was extremely porous and the resin bubbled like crazy. I poured way too thick on that. Took my time and made small amounts for the second one, just barely enough to cover the surface each time. Rubbing each layer in while wearing rubber gloves until it was thick enough and hardened so  that I could do a full pour without worrying about the wood sucking more of it up and creating more bubbles.  All in all I'd do it again though, they were fantastic when done. The picture really doesn't do them justice. 

7 hours ago, Scrappile said:

What a cool idea and well executed.  Now make him one, same idea using wine corks.....

I made several pens using wine corks back in my pen turning days.

I think  that's going to be my next resin project. He'll just have to provide the corks.  That will take multiple layers of very thin coats to avoid bubbles though.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, Scrappile said:

@courtym74 I have read somewhere that you can remove the bubbles with a heat, like going over the epoxy with a heat gun or a torch... I have not done it so, something you might try some time.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:59 PM, shiney b said:

yes you can. but keep it moving!

I tried that and it worked great until the heat cured the top layer of resin faster than what was under it so the bubbles got stuck under the top layer.  Either way I learned and it all turned out great!