got it going!

shiney b

after being away from scrollsawing for over 20 years, I decided to get my delta 40-601 saw out a couple weeks ago, and start again. when I turned it on, the speed wouldn't hold steady. doing some research, I learned the speed sensor wheel on these saws were prone to coming apart. I took the saw off the stand, turned it upside down, and removed the cover on the bottom of the gearbox. sure enough, the wheel was in 4 pieces. these wheels look like the old bakelite material, which usually did fall apart as it got old. (kinda like me!) of course, replacements are not available. my son helped me remove the shaft that held the wheel on, and its hub. he epoxied the wheel back together, both sides. yesterday we reassembled everything, and today, I was able to use the saw! woohoo and yippee! folks, im here to tell you, that im gonna have to relearn this skill. I made a good chunk of money with this saw when it was new back in 1987, but today, it was just like I had never been in front of a scrollsaw before in my life! I cant wait to get back in the shop tomorrow, and do some more! once I saw something that looks decent, ill post pictures.(if I can figure out how to do so!)

Edited by shiney b

I do still have some work left to do to this saw. the table is covered in rust, which is not a problem to remove, just takes a little time. a few other parts need to be removed and wire wheeled to remove surface rust. the saw was never outside, its just very humid here. the bellows is torn loose at the top, and needs to be glued back. the air hose from the bellows housing to the nozzle is very brittle and needs replaced. I think automotive windshield washer tubing, or aquarium tubing will work. I will be able to use the saw in the meantime. ive got a bunch of blades from the old days, just need to sort through them, and see what all is there. I sure don't need a Christmas present this year. this "new" toy is present enough for me!

32 minutes ago, shiney b said:

after being away from scrollsawing for over 20 years, I decided to get my delta 40-601 saw out a couple weeks ago, and start again. when I turned it on, the speed wouldn't hold steady. doing some research, I learned the speed sensor wheel on these saws were prone to coming apart. I took the saw off the stand, turned it upside down, and removed the cover on the bottom of the gearbox. sure enough, the wheel was in 4 pieces. these wheels look like the old bakelite material, which usually did fall apart as it got old. (kinda like me!) of course, replacements are not available. my son helped me remove the shaft that held the wheel on, and its hub. he epoxied the wheel back together, both sides. yesterday we reassembled everything, and today, I was able to use the saw! woohoo and yippee! folks, im here to tell you, that im gonna have to relearn this skill. I made a good chunk of money with this saw when it was new back in 1987, but today, it was just like I had never been in front of a scrollsaw before in my life! I cant wait to get back in the shop tomorrow, and do some more! once I saw something that looks decent, ill post pictures.(if I can figure out how to do so!)

That's great news. Always happy to have another scroller here. Keep us updated.

yes, I will post updates! Im excited about getting back into this hobby. I started woodturning again a few months ago also. I had only been away from it about 10 years! I want to have plenty to occupy my retirement time, and so far, that hasn't been a problem! my dad had never taken up any hobbies, and when he retired, was bored, and wished he could go back to work everyday. I do not want that for me! im planning to pick up the carving knives again also!

Edited by shiney b

17 minutes ago, shiney b said:

I do still have some work left to do to this saw. the table is covered in rust, which is not a problem to remove, just takes a little time. a few other parts need to be removed and wire wheeled to remove surface rust. the saw was never outside, its just very humid here. the bellows is torn loose at the top, and needs to be glued back. the air hose from the bellows housing to the nozzle is very brittle and needs replaced. I think automotive windshield washer tubing, or aquarium tubing will work. I will be able to use the saw in the meantime. ive got a bunch of blades from the old days, just need to sort through them, and see what all is there. I sure don't need a Christmas present this year. this "new" toy is present enough for me!

Dave, there is another fine scroller who lives in Kansas. His name is Brad and he goes by Scrollsaw703 here on the Village. You might hook up with him and see where you guys are in proximity to each other. 

40 minutes ago, shiney b said:

That's great news. Always happy to have another scroller here. Keep us updated.