Door Topper

Fran L

Very well done. You needed extra room around the shop to do that one too. 

I have cut some larger things when I had an old Dremel saw with pin end blades; they could go in sideways and I used that trick.

I have considered modifying my current saw to take pin end blades sideways, to get the ability for much larger pieces. I may eventually do that yet, or at least give it a try.  Trying to make extra clamps on the blade holders, most likely will not work. But, I have thought about a small straight hacksaw cut just deep enough to hold the blade , with a filed notch for the pin.

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Looks great and ya, quite a challenge... This is where spiral blades shine!

Thanks Paul, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I've only tried spiral on a couple of fret patterns but chewed up some of the straight lines too much. These patterns have  more "rustic" straight lines except for the borders which actually would look good with spirals. Definitely would reduce the amount of turning.

6 hours ago, meflick said:

Nice work. I’m sure it was difficult cutting such a long piece. I have not tried one yet. Thanks for explaining how  you did it.

It was fun trying something different that I had to figure out on the fly. One thing I found is, even on the large cut out pieces, instead of 1 entry hole at the easiest place to start a cut, it would've been better to have multiple holes for the other side of the cut. Scrappile had the best suggestion. Spiral blades are ideal for something like this.

36 minutes ago, Wichman said:

Nice job.

What type of shirts do you wear? I've found that the Dickies work shirts don't snag as much as T-shirts.

Was a flannel- was chilly in the basement but not cold enough to put on the space heater I have down there. Easy to snag on that. I have an old lab coat I usually put on but did’t bother this time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, Fran L said:

I’ve been wanting to try one of the door toppers from The Wooden Teddy Bear. Finally pulled the trigger and did this one from Clark Weeks. This was a lot of fun and interesting to do. It’s my first try of cutting a project longer than my scrollsaw neck (32” and Delta 20”) and it really had me adjusting on the fly. There was a discussion earlier if we preferred cutting clockwise or counter-clockwise. I generally go clockwise but got a lot of practice reversing field. Lot of mistakes letting the blade move while stepping around the long end to cut from a different angle. More than once I’d catch my shirt on the board. Started turning the saw off an on until I got in position. Also, since I was standing to the side most of the time, when I thought the blade was lined up on my pattern line it was actually angled a little off but I just slowed my feed until I was lined up. I used 1/4” BB. Still need some staining practice. Used 2 coats of Walnut stain and 2 of minwax poly satin with light sanding but I think I rush the finishings too much because I want to see a finished project. Decided not to use a backer and let the wall be a contrast when it’s up. Still pretty happy with how it turned out and plan to do the Easter one later on. Sorry to be long-winded, just typing away while watching the game.

5F94B583-ED2C-4534-854B-DEC370C6AF3B.jpeg

That's a beauty!!!