Scroll Saw Set up

Messman

I had posted the other day about needing to sit down while scrolling and that I had bout a stool. It was suggested that tilting the saw would make it more comfortable to scroll. Well I did it, and at first I had the back of the saw proped up on a stack of wood. Well yesterday I actually made a portable stand for my saw that has it tilted to around 23 degrees or so which is perfect for me. I also improved the dust collecting ability when a shop vac or my dust collector is hooked up to it by about 100%. I completly enclosed the bottom of the saw and made the Dust chamber smaller. Before air came from everywhere from around the saw and dust was able to go basicly everywhere. By enclosing the saw the way I did air can basicly only come from the table region. If you any questions please feel free to ask and comments are always welcome.

thumb_DSC00933.jpg

thumb_DSC00934.jpg

Nice job Chris....thanks for sharing

It sure saves your back and neck when the saw is tilted, I'l have to try tilting mine some more now after seeing yours, I just have a 4x2 under the back of mine at the moment.

I had mine stacked on a block of cedar and some other misc. wood. I added and removed wood until I found the angle that worked best for me. Even though my saw never moved with the wood stacked under it, I kept having visions of it falling off the table and it was actually not easy to move when I needed to move it.

Looks great, I've still gotta try this.

Got any pics of how you enclosed the dust

Chamber?

When I can get back out to the shop I will see about fliping the saw to take pictures of the bottom. I have the saw bolted to stand so it remains together.

I had my saw at a pretty good angle but when I did I had a problem with the project sliding off while, IE changing the blade. How do you prevent that? Because of that I have reduced the angle a bit but it is still a problem. And the angle, even slighter than that still saves the neck and back..

Wow, hope it don't slide off into your lap !

I wouldn't mind a bit of a tilt, but I bolt my machines down to a work bench, so thats not much of an option ,,, Though, come to think of it, I could still just shim it up in the back a bit and just use longer bolts. But I stand while I cut, tilting might actually be counter productive for stander.

Wow, hope it don't slide off into your lap !

I wouldn't mind a bit of a tilt, but I bolt my machines down to a work bench, so thats not much of an option ,,, Though, come to think of it, I could still just shim it up in the back a bit and just use longer bolts. But I stand while I cut, tilting might actually be counter productive for stander.

The saw is going no where. It is bolted to the stand I made, and it's weight does not allow it to move. It vibrates a littl when at it's highest speed, which I do not cut at. If I want to get rid of the vibration I just need to add a clamp and clamp it down to the work bench.

Ok I said I was going to take a picture of the bottom of the stand I made for my scroll saw so you could see what I did under it. Well here you go, delivered as promised. If you see the peice of wood around the center point of the stand, that is the piece I added in to improve the dust collection. If you have any questions please ask.

xray how do you stand all day and cut , i gotta have my stoll or i'd be dead on my feet after 8 - 10 hours of cuttin

sully

Well, you probably do more cutting than me, I've never went at it that long.

Anyways, I like to stand. I work in the construction trade, always on my feet, so I'm used to it ... And standing saves a little wear & tear on my rear,too !

I was a stander until recently. I decided to start sitting because my back just can't take it any more and I have messed up my right ankle pretty good, I have been limping around for the past 4 months or so. I really should go to the doctor but I guess I am the typical guy no docs. For the chair, I picked up a cheap swivel bar stool at walmart that has some padding, but I will pronably add some more to it one of these days. In addition I have been doing more cutting than I have in the past with the hopes that it increases even more. So tilting the saw was a big help.