Another box.....

mikesscrollsaw

Another new box complete. made some wood hinges for this one, I was going to put cat inlays in them but one broke so I used polymer clay instead of redoing the entire hinge.

Copyof009.jpg

Copyof002-1.jpg

Copyof011.jpg

Copyof004-1.jpg

Here is a close up of the cats inlay. I used the idea of using saw dust and wood glue to fill in the holes and it worked great! the arrow on the left is the entry hole, can't even see it! the right cat had a gap along the bottom (not sure why) and it filled in perfectly can't even see that it was ever there.

I did the same for the letters too, you can still see the entry holes but not nearly as much as before. from now on I'm going to make the entry hole on the inside of the cut instead of on the line and then use sawdust and glue to fill it.

Copyof005-1.jpg

the polymer clay is VERY easy to work with. I got some from walmart (multicolor pack with tools) for $5 it's very soft and easy to mold. I got some more from hobby lobby, and it wasn't nearly as soft and easy to work with. says it's the same stuff just different manufacturer and costs more money.

the walmart brand stuff only comes with multicolor packs, you can't get single color packs, that's why I went to hobby lobby. but the walmart stuff was much cheaper.

you just squeeze the clay into the cut out, bake it for 15 minutes at 275 degrees and then let it cool, as it cools it gets hard, once hard you just sand it smooth. that's it!

Red oak for the base and hinges, white oak for the sides and top (a tree cut down from a friends yard that was too close to powerlines), the inlay cats are walnut (another tree cut down from the same friends yard this one was being eaten by carpenter ants)

The letters I don't have a clue, it was a piece of dark wood I had in the garage.

something I didn't mention but I wanted to point out.....on the hinges there are 2 white little dots, the way I took the pics you can just barely see them. they are bamboo skewers (the ones you cook with), I didn't think that just glueing the hinges to the board would be strong enough so i drilled 2 1/8 inch holes into each hinge and used the skewers to reinforce the hinge to the box and the lid.

the ones on the back go all the way through the box and the hinge, (if you look closely at the pic with the lid open you can see the two white dots on the inside of the back board) the ones on the lid go through the hinge and into the lid and stop about 1/16 of an inch from the top surface (they wouldn't have looked good going all the way through i didn't think).

just thought i'd add that

Thanks for all the great comments, The guy I made if for is comeing over to get it in a little bit, going to be a valentines day gift for his girlfriend.

p.s. just curious about your thoughts on this, what would you think something like this could/should sell for?

it's 10 inches long x 6 inches wide x 3.5 inches deep. I'm asking $80 for each of the ones i've sold so far. (I've posted pics of each of them) I was thinking of charging $100 from now on.

thanks in advance for your opinions

Hi Mike...I think IMHO that $100 is VERY reasonable for a piece of this kind of quality...It's not like you can walk into any store and buy a box like the one shown here.

I hadn't noticed the pins till you mentioned them...I believe that you can pin hinges so you can't see the pin...It snaps over a pin put in place before the hinge is put on...probably more work to do it like that but thought it might spark some ideas for you...

Again VERY nice work!...As you can probably tell...I really love boxes.....especially custom ones....