Hegner Scrollsaw

Roberta Moreton

This has recently shown up near me. But, for $350, no stand and a friend said that I will want to replace the top arm with the new model, which has a tension release lever at the front. Also beware that to start the saw up without first putting a little light machine oil on the connecting rod bearings, could cause the bearings to spin inside the arm and crack it. I am not sure this is a good deal.  Thoughts?

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

I don't see a variable speed controller on the front either. It looks like a very clean machine but I'd have to top out at $200. It'll cost about $300-350 to update it.

The variable speed control can't be seen from that angle. At least you can't on mine. You need to view it from the front. The other question I have is: if it is a 22" saw it is a pretty good reach for the tension knob and would be inconvenient when adjusting the tension without the front tensioner. Ray may be correct in topping it out at $200.

Just now, Rockytime said:

The variable speed control can't be seen from that angle. At least you can't on mine. You need to view it from the front. The other question I have is: if it is a 22" saw it is a pretty good reach for the tension knob and would be inconvenient when adjusting the tension without the front tensioner. Ray may be correct in topping it out at $200.

Les, there is usually a black box on the front of the motor that can be seen from that angle. If I recall. That saw just looks different. I thought it might be the other Hegner at first. Not the MultiMax. My memory just got up and left the room.

I paid $600 for this saw five years ago.  Mine is a 1986 model.  Single speed , no stand and it is a 25" saw.  Parts are still available for it.  I do not do any fretwork so single speed is fine with me.  I bought it as a back up saw and have used it a lot. I have another Hegner as my go to saw for inlay. I agree that I would not recommend a Hegner to do fretwork.  Blade changes are cumbersome compared to other saws.  The Hegner advantage is durability.