Rust

savethebeer

Last Year (yesterday) I went into the shop and something caught my eye that I hadn't noticed before, despite being in the shop 5 to 7 days a week for years. Whatever way the winter sun was coming through the window I realised the pillar of my pillar drill was rusty, then I noticed the chuck itself was also rusty. Then I started looking closely at everything  and so far no more rust visible. All my tools, belt sander, bandsaw, and the drill are all tabletop ones so all reasonably small. The drill was bought new 3 years ago and is used every day I'm in the shop.

I use a heater when its cold, and a dehumidifier, and a fan at other times and none of my patterns have ever gone all wavy sitting on the shelf nor have any wood gotten damp so this rust was a suprise. Anyone come across rust affecting their tools within the motor/machinery? I'm loathe to start removing panel and covers just on the off chance.

Bob 

Just spent 15 minutes wiping oil into the pillar and the chuck and later I'll take the vacumn into the hard to reach corners of the shop and look for any more evidence of neglect. I had promised myself that this year I would actually decorate the rest of the house and buy some good furniture, but this is way toooo important to leave to chance.

Periodically I notice rust forming on the SS table even though I keep it waxed.

After the hurricane, there was a tremendous amount of rust on the SS table, so much so that I thought it was completely ruined and I would have to replace it. I may still add it to my personal loss for insurance. I managed to clean it and thought I got it all. I think perhaps I did not get 100% of it, and it continues to come back periodically and I keep waxing and buffing.

My drill press does get a bit of rust and I keep that oiled as well.

My table saw holds up very well though - I keep it waxed as well but it also has a wooden cover I made for it - it is the only tool I really have that does not show signs of rust on the surface

I'm in Florida, so rust I think is expected - plus my shop is in my garage - no air control in there at all except the dust collection stuff

Edited by new2woodwrk

About 2 years ago, my drill press table quit going up and down when I cranked it.  After careful inspection, I noticed a somewhat heavy layer of rust on the pillar.  After only 25 years in my unheated, damp basement, go figure.  So I used steel wool and oil to clean the rust off the pillar, and it worked fine.  Now I think I will put a thin coat of lubricant on it once a year.  Should get another 25 years out of it.

Tom