Dust Collection

Sycamore67

There have been several recent threads about dust collection/air filters with widely different viewpoints.  

I posted a couple of links that had actual data

Box Fan Air Filter

DIY Box Fan Filter

Both of these show actual data on how these box fan filters work.  One thing that I noted is that it takes quite a while for them to filter the air.  During that time, you will be breathing the dust.  

I really wanted to try to answer some questions for myself about how well collecting dust at the source works to improve air quality.  That is, collecting it above and below the table on the scroll saw. 

I looked for some meters to measure the dust levels.  The best one out there is a Dylos meter but these start at around $200.  There is some very good information about shop dust collection and measurement on the Australian Woodworking Forum.  They also mention in some of the posts a cheaper alternative.  While not as accurate, it will work to show relative differences in PM1.0, PM2.5 and PM10.  

I ordered the following one on ebay and when it comes will try doing some tests.  They run about $40.

473289820_PMDetector.thumb.jpg.39ea0cbfeed2fd6e42de9252fa58010a.jpg

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

I would be interested if anyone actually reads the links I have provided.  Please let me know what you think of the information.

Don't use a box fan so don't care. I know it is for your own curiosity which is fine. But the truth of the matter is any little dust is harmful to you. Certain woods are more harmful than others. Certain finishes are harmful. Time spent sucking up the dust is a factor. How often in the shop is a factor. How clean is the floor you walk on is a factor because as I explained in those threads just walking in a shop kicks up the dust level all over again after it has settled. It is the dust you can not see that is harmful. 

All the shop vacs, air cleaners, dust extractors, box fans all will help and that is proven. Again though the last line of defence is a good dust mask and be vigilant about wearing it. Now you can get into a discussion as to what is a good dust mask and again many factors come into play. Beard, no beard, full face mask or partial for comfort and the list goes on. But at least try and I applaud your efforts to inform us and yourself with some data.  I do hope this data will be used. Good luck. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

JTTHECLOCKMAN ...I understand you do not use a box fan and do not care.  But why such a response.

Nobody has a shop that is a clean room so we are all exposed to dust and other contaminants.  The question is the amount and time of exposure there are OSHA standards for PEL (permissible exposure limits.). Having some understanding of the dust levels provides an idea of how bad the air is and what kind of prevention plan is needed.

There are quite a few on this site who do use box fans and it might be helpful to them. 

Personally, I use a 5 hp cyclone system ducted throughout my shop, a Festool HEPA extractor on my smaller tools and scroll saw and a Jet air filter.  I try to collect dust at the point of origin.

If the air in your shop stays clean enough, there is no need for a mask.

Edited by Sycamore67

You asked if anyone reads your links so my answer.  Did you read the entire post or just the top line?????????????  Again I applaud you for your data search and hope it will be helpful  I too try to collect dust at the source at times. But I use way too many tools to be able to do that. Tools that create more dust than a scrollsaw. The Osha standards you speak of are bare minimums and each person is affected differently. I have dealt with this throughout my construction career. All my point was is that all the measures you take to control dust weather at the source or scrubbing of the air, the best and most proven method is to wear a dust mask. If you can clean your shop with all the equipment and no mask is needed I congratulate you. How many here will be able to do that??  That is just my point Do not take this personal.

What would probably be interesting to see is if you have both vac setup and fan setup, take a reading near your face as you are scrolling using your natural form and seat placement.  May take another set of hands. Then eliminate one setup at a time and do the test. Being we are talking scrollsaws.