Well, I'm getting closer!

OCtoolguy

I'm having a terrible time to print out a pattern that was sent to me by an engineer friend who was helping me until he got too busy. He did it in some sort of CAD program I think and he sent me the pdf but as it appears in the pdf it's too small in diameter. I enlarged it using Adobe Acrobat but when I try to print it, it comes out the size he sent to me. I enlarged it by 135% which is perfect and saved it as such but it still comes out too small. If anybody can steer me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks Melanie.

After futzing with my printer/copier and the Acrobat software, I did finally figure it out. Stuff like this presents enough of a challenge to me that I can't just take it somewhere for someone else to fix. I gotta do it myself. And, I finally did. Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I sure wish you and I lived a bit closer to each other. I know I could learn a lot from you.

Well Ray, I suppose we could set up a shop date at my shop if you want to drive up to Ventura County. Moorpark is between Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks. I’m guessing about 1 1/2 hours drive time.

1 minute ago, dgman said:

Well Ray, I suppose we could set up a shop date at my shop if you want to drive up to Ventura County. Moorpark is between Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks. I’m guessing about 1 1/2 hours drive time.

I'm tempted just to drive up their and have lunch or something sometime. But, after the last time we drove up to the Reagan Library, I told Barb that it would be a long while before I want to fight that traffic again. Going up isn't too bad but the return trip is horrendous. We'll see.

37 minutes ago, Roberta Moreton said:

Take the printout to Office Depot and enlarge it there. 

Yeah, Office Depot. Went there yesterday and going again tomorrow. I can change size on my printer but I can't print larger than 8.5X11. I can get lots of copies from Home Depot for the price of a larger printer. But then there is the distance one needs to drive. I have one on either side of my home which I can reach in 15 minutes or less even in bad traffic.

We LOVE pictures Ray!

Re: Assembling your piece.  I've attached a picture of a wren bowl. (Made 6 of these).  Made a jig to clamp the pieces, but you don't need to.  When the sides were cut, masked the bottom & edges of each piece & sprayed clear from the bottom up, because that angle couldn't be reached later.

Glue an extra pattern of the base onto a scrap.  Cover it with wax paper.  From the back/outside of each piece, put a piece of 2" masking tape vertically on one edge of each piece, half attached & half sticking out.  Using canned goods that you stole from the kitchen, glue the 1st two together.  Place a 1" tape on the inside of the joint.  Squeeze the 2 tapes together to align the edges while pushing the two together.  Let it set overnight.  Rinse & repeat.

ONLY GLUE HALF OF YOUR CIRCLE.  Next do the other half separately.

The 2 halves will not align, but using the same taping method, plus rubber bands to pull the halves together, you will get it to work.  The next day. sand the bottom flat.

Hope you can understand this.  I sure as heck can't.  😃 🙃 😎

jerry

Bowl 1.JPG

11 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I'm tempted just to drive up their and have lunch or something sometime. But, after the last time we drove up to the Reagan Library, I told Barb that it would be a long while before I want to fight that traffic again. Going up isn't too bad but the return trip is horrendous. We'll see.

Well let me know so I can straighten up the shop. I don’t mean clean the shop, that will never happen!🤣

if you do decide to come up, make a list of things you would like to work on or questions you you might have.

Re; Copy shops.  We have a Mom & Pop copy shop nearby.  I always had them enlarge  & CHANGE THE LINES TO RED.  Much easier on the eyes.  IF the shops you folks go to "can't" convert to red, PM me & I can get contact info for the gal that did it in no time.  Even the owner had to ask her how (I don't know either).

jerry

I love pics so I have no problem with pics of works in progress

Besides, I think it shows many of us the pros and cons of some of the more difficult types of cuts.

I know for me, I'm nowhere near ready to attempt a project such as that.

However, if it were me, I would have printed all the images for the project at once so as not to have an issue with sizing

7 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

I love pics so I have no problem with pics of works in progress

Besides, I think it shows many of us the pros and cons of some of the more difficult types of cuts.

I know for me, I'm nowhere near ready to attempt a project such as that.

However, if it were me, I would have printed all the images for the project at once so as not to have an issue with sizing

Normally I would agree with you. But this is like walking into a dark room and having to "feel" my way through. The original plan was 5" in diameter and had 8 of those panels. I decided to enlarge it to make a centerpiece/basket. It will have a base of 10", 20 panels and a top about 10". But the panels are held in place by a hidden ring that is rabbetted into the under side of the top and notched into a sub-base on top of the base. All these pieces have had to be calculated off the original plans and trying to stay within the available woods. I did get a special milling done on 10" wide walnut planed to 1/2" thickness. I wish now that I had ordered it from 12" lumber. Once I post pics of the finished piece, it will be more understandable. To retain some strength, I'm cutting that hidden part out of 1/4" BB and staining it to match the walnut. That's the one part that I am still not sure about. I have no experience with staining. Someone suggested Watco oil in walnut. I'm going to start there and do some experimentation on scraps. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Normally I would agree with you. But this is like walking into a dark room and having to "feel" my way through. The original plan was 5" in diameter and had 8 of those panels. I decided to enlarge it to make a centerpiece/basket. It will have a base of 10", 20 panels and a top about 10". But the panels are held in place by a hidden ring that is rabbetted into the under side of the top and notched into a sub-base on top of the base. All these pieces have had to be calculated off the original plans and trying to stay within the available woods. I did get a special milling done on 10" wide walnut planed to 1/2" thickness. I wish now that I had ordered it from 12" lumber. Once I post pics of the finished piece, it will be more understandable. To retain some strength, I'm cutting that hidden part out of 1/4" BB and staining it to match the walnut. That's the one part that I am still not sure about. I have no experience with staining. Someone suggested Watco oil in walnut. I'm going to start there and do some experimentation on scraps. Fingers crossed.

Ray, I will call you today on my way home from work. Don't sweat it 😊

Sam

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dgman said:

Wow Ray, that is looking fantastic! I would love to se a pic from the top.

I will once I get it cut out. The top has a hole in it about 9" in diameter. Very tricky to make sure I don't cut into the upper panel holder. I did that once on one of the small ones. If I EVER make another one of these, I have it all figured out how to do it differently. This one has been trial and error every step of the way. I ruined the first piece of walnut and as you can see, in order to save it, I did a glue up of two halves with biscuit joints. I now have to fill that little tiny hole that you can see in one picture. I bought some compounds that when mixed together make a stainable glue. I'm going to mix some up with the walnut fine dust and experiment. Or, I might just use some Watco oil in dark walnut to try to cover it up. I spend a lot of time fixing my screwups. Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

That looks great! When I need a large copy of a pattern I save them up and print the pattern out on a plotter. I have access to the plotter when I substitute for the CAD teacher at the local vocational school. I can print 42" wide and the length needed.

Edited by Woodmaster1