New DeWalt Help

Old Dust

Well I wore out 3 Delta's so had to order a DeWalt. I know many of you use this saw, and I have a few questions.

1. I notice that in the manual there is no reference to lubricate anything. I had to constantly oil or grease my Delta's. Comments?

2. I suspect most do not use the "hold down" gizmo?

3. Bottom feed or top feed blade? If top feed, what do you do with the 'guard' in front of the bottom clamp?

4. How do you deal with the top arm to hold up?

Any other suggestions to deal with this beautiful saw appreciated.

Thanks;

John

Old Dust

Well I wore out 3 Delta's so had to order a DeWalt. I know many of you use this saw, and I have a few questions.

1. I notice that in the manual there is no reference to lubricate anything. I had to constantly oil or grease my Delta's. Comments?

2. I suspect most do not use the "hold down" gizmo?

3. Bottom feed or top feed blade? If top feed, what do you do with the 'guard' in front of the bottom clamp?

4. How do you deal with the top arm to hold up?

Any other suggestions to deal with this beautiful saw appreciated.

Thanks;

John

Old Dust

Hi John I use the Dewalt 788 and I feed from the top. for me it seems easier . Instead of trying to line holes up from underneath the wood. I removed the guard completely from underneath so I can get to the bottom blade mount much easier.I find it much easier to leave the top connected and insert the blade through the holes from the top . Of course this is my personal preference . They sell easy lift arms you can attach to the top arm , me I just raise it manually and hold it up with my left hand and insert the blade with my right. Hope this helps , Eagledrum70 :)

Hi:

Lubricate...I understand that once every couple of years to remove the back plate (motor and connecting rod area) and apply some white lithium grease to the wedge and any other linkages. I use a drop of "breakfree" on the upper and lower blade holders (around the bearings) about every third project. Breakfree will not clog (collect dust).

There are a few ways to keep the arm up...Like mentioned the arm lifter. Make up a holder from scrap wood. You can also tighten up the screw that connects the arm to the frame. This will hold the arm up.

Get rid of the hold down and lower guard. Makes it much easier to change blades.

post-695-134955567596_thumb.jpg

Quicky arm lift