Tips and Tricks

wombatie

What are your tips and tricks that you would pass on to a newbie?

Mine: Stay relaxed and do not push to hard into the blade. Its supposed to be a stress free hobby.

When trying a new finish try it on a scrap of wood first that way if it doesn't work you haven't ruined what you have been working on. I learnt that the hard way.

Marg

TAKE UP GOLF....LOL Apart from what Marg said don't try and cut a complicated piece at first, cut basic designs and get used to the feel of the saw, ornaments are a good starter project they will get you use to inside and outside cuts, but most of all be safe,enjoy, and don't rush........Paul

When I first started, I hobbled myself being too gentle with the blades.

Was super careful and generous on curves and turns, I was paranoid of stressing them out and snapping them ,,, And the result was sloppy corners.

Blades can generally take alot more stress than most people would think, and once I started pushing the envelope a bit, results were much better.

So my advice would be, don't be too gentle with those blades. Push it a bit right from the git go. Sure, you'll snap a few.

You'll do that anyhow. But you don't know what any tool or machine is capable of until you explore its limits - And if you tend always to err on the side of caution, your work will suffer.