copyrights

GrampaJim

HD protects their lifestyle like no other company. Ford protects the likeness of the mustang. Ya'll cutting Elvis, watch out for Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. There are businesses that contract with companies such as Dewalt and issue fines on their behalf for unauthorized use of their logo.

Sharing a pattern can get you the same troubles. Works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

It is not ok to reproduce logos without purchasing the proper license/obtaining written permission, this includes military logos. The list goes on, the brave keep doing it and then complain when they get caught.

Warning:  Sarcasm used in this post. 😁

Hmmm... funny this should come up now.  I just finished cutting 2 superhero logos for my niece's 8 year old kid.  The plan is for him to put them up on his bedroom wall.  There was absolutely no money involved - not even for the wood.  And they'll never be displayed anywhere outside his room.

While cutting these logos I was well aware of them being copyrighted but didn't think that it was really an issue under these circumstances.  And since I did a stack cut I tacked the other set to a wall in my shop.  I guess I'll have to stop cutting and privately displaying these logos and burn them. (heaven forbid the trash collector guy should find them and take them home to his kid)  Or am I being too extreme? 🤣

/Oscar

40 minutes ago, Oscar Myer said:

Warning:  Sarcasm used in this post. 😁

Hmmm... funny this should come up now.  I just finished cutting 2 superhero logos for my niece's 8 year old kid.  The plan is for him to put them up on his bedroom wall.  There was absolutely no money involved - not even for the wood.  And they'll never be displayed anywhere outside his room.

While cutting these logos I was well aware of them being copyrighted but didn't think that it was really an issue under these circumstances.  And since I did a stack cut I tacked the other set to a wall in my shop.  I guess I'll have to stop cutting and privately displaying these logos and burn them. (heaven forbid the trash collector guy should find them and take them home to his kid)  Or am I being too extreme? 🤣

/Oscar

Not extreme enough... you forgot to burn the sawdust created while making the project.. and now you posted on the web that you made it.. also post clearly states you knew iy was a copyright.. but made it anyway..... If I was you... I'd go straight to the authorities and get it straightened out now... the fine 50 years from now will be much more AND the ulcers you get from worrying about it all those years will affect your health..😂😂

Seriously though copyright stuff is no joke... BUT.. a lawsuit on someone making a gift for someone where money wasn't really exchanged in the original post seems pretty extreme... I could see if they was informed to cease making them..but continued.. or was advertising them for sale somewhere... Maybe a sting where the shop displaying the logo put a agent in touch with the person that made the logo and they was working out a deal to make another for the agent..? that maybe a possibility but still seems pretty far stretched.. In the original scenario... it seems to lack any proof of the guy even making the logo... How can that be proved.. one mans word of saying where he got it... what if he didn't like the guy and lied about it..  I just feel there is not enough evidence in the story to push the issue as they did.. either the story isn't the whole truth or completely made up.. I suspect the guy was working another deal with the agent... and this part of the story isn't being told..

I have friends and family that are always asking for sports themed things and I say NO.. Because once you do one.. then their friends and their friends friends ask for the stuff.. The only people I've ever done this for is my kids... Friends over time can become enemies if you're not careful... and sorry.. but... I just don't make that stuff for anyone... Not even free.. as I said.. they have other friends.. and family etc..   

I watch Facebook Marketplace all the time for used tools etc. There is a person on there that is cutting NFL team logos on his/her scroll saw and selling them for $50 each. Desk ornaments or whatever. I did write to them yesterday to warn them that they are treading in dangerous waters in that they are so blatantly advertising them for sale on a venue that goes worldwide. It won't take long for someone from the NFL to see their ad and come after them.

53 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Not extreme enough... you forgot to burn the sawdust created while making the project.. and now you posted on the web that you made it.. also post clearly states you knew iy was a copyright.. but made it anyway..... If I was you... I'd go straight to the authorities and get it straightened out now... the fine 50 years from now will be much more AND the ulcers you get from worrying about it all those years will affect your health..😂😂

Seriously though copyright stuff is no joke... BUT.. a lawsuit on someone making a gift for someone where money wasn't really exchanged in the original post seems pretty extreme... I could see if they was informed to cease making them..but continued.. or was advertising them for sale somewhere... Maybe a sting where the shop displaying the logo put a agent in touch with the person that made the logo and they was working out a deal to make another for the agent..? that maybe a possibility but still seems pretty far stretched.. In the original scenario... it seems to lack any proof of the guy even making the logo... How can that be proved.. one mans word of saying where he got it... what if he didn't like the guy and lied about it..  I just feel there is not enough evidence in the story to push the issue as they did.. either the story isn't the whole truth or completely made up.. I suspect the guy was working another deal with the agent... and this part of the story isn't being told..

I have friends and family that are always asking for sports themed things and I say NO.. Because once you do one.. then their friends and their friends friends ask for the stuff.. The only people I've ever done this for is my kids... Friends over time can become enemies if you're not careful... and sorry.. but... I just don't make that stuff for anyone... Not even free.. as I said.. they have other friends.. and family etc..   

Just so you know... I almost spit coffee all over my screen.

Yes, you're so right about this copyright stuff not being something to take lightly.  I do understand this and, like you, I do not make anything with a copyright to sell.  And also like you I will not make anything with a heavy copyright - sports themes or Harley Davidson as good examples - for anyone other than myself.

Although the superhero logo were made for someone else I really not too worried about getting caught and fined by the copyright police.  They're going on an eight year old's bedroom wall.  Even if some of his friends beg and plead for me to make more for them, it just wouldn't happen.  It's a one-off thing.

Am I wrong for cutting these logos?  When taking the law to the extreme, the answer is yes.  My bad.  But being used as they are in this case I'm not worried about getting caught and ending up with a hefty fine... unless they raid my shop or the eight year old's bedroom. 🤣

I should also point out that I got the patterns for these logos from Pintrest.  In fact, there are hundreds of different logo patterns to be had there without any copyright disclaimers.  I would think that the posters over there would have a tad more to worry about than I do.

/Oscar

27 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I watch Facebook Marketplace all the time for used tools etc. There is a person on there that is cutting NFL team logos on his/her scroll saw and selling them for $50 each. Desk ornaments or whatever. I did write to them yesterday to warn them that they are treading in dangerous waters in that they are so blatantly advertising them for sale on a venue that goes worldwide. It won't take long for someone from the NFL to see their ad and come after them.

I've read where FB will terminate your account for violation of their terms of use ( posting Copywritten /trademarked ) things on their marketplace for selling.. 

Least we not forget that Copyright and Trademark are two very different things and the laws that apply are different.  The HD logo as well as sports teams are Trademarks.  Patterns by say Sue Mey, Judy Gale Roberts, etc are copyrighted.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Copyright_vs_Trademark

1 hour ago, NC Scroller said:

Least we not forget that Copyright and Trademark are two very different things and the laws that apply are different.  The HD logo as well as sports teams are Trademarks.  Patterns by say Sue Mey, Judy Gale Roberts, etc are copyrighted.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Copyright_vs_Trademark

And hefty fines can be levied for infringement of either one.

Attorney fees alone should be enough to discourage someone from trying.

2 hours ago, Oscar Myer said:

I should also point out that I got the patterns for these logos from Pintrest.  In fact, there are hundreds of different logo patterns to be had there without any copyright disclaimers.  I would think that the posters over there would have a tad more to worry about than I do.

/Oscar

You can make 1 of anything that is legal to own for your own personal use. Anything that gets put in a tangible format gets an automatic copyright.

https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

The bottom line is if you steal someones intellectual property and sell it or a derivative of it, you are a criminal. 

Disclaimer- I am not an attorney, I don't even play one on the internet. I do have time invested researching the subject.

2 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Might be a grey area... BUT...still can cost you legal fees to fight a grey area.. win or loose the case...Am I wrong on that?

grey area and untill you become a lawyer then you will have the answer!!!!!!!!!!

I take all I read here and on other sites with a grain of salt. Talk to a lawyer that does those kind of cases. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

That seems awfully harsh. And I'm not sure if I believe that story or not. I used to own a trademark, principle, not service mark. The law is that if you do not defend it, you can lose it, if the USPTO finds out about it. So, there were a bunch of competitors who decided it would be profitable to use my mark. I sent them cease and desist letters myself. And they did. And I didn't sue anyone. My lawyer said to defend it would cost a minimum of 20K and the venue had to be where the person lived that infringed.

Coca Cola got after a bunch of gel candlemakers for using their glasses at one point, but they just told them to stop and no one got sued by them. Usually people just want you to stop doing it. Suing some small time person like that is ridiculous, but if they win, they could ruin someone financially.

Hope it's not true.

I've been on this site a couple of years, and this is at least the 4th time this has come up, albeit with a different internet story to start it each time.

It is illegal to duplicate a trademark or a copyright and everyone knows that.  You can quibble and play semantics all you want but it really boils down to the fact if you do it - you take your chances.

I know from a personal friend that HD does not play around, once they tumble to your activity (and he was not selling just putting info on the net).

YMMV

I use to make Harley signs notice I said use to, and sell them to my friends for a donation . One of my friends said I should get a license from Harley and sell them all over. So I called Harley and the person I talked to asked me if I could make enough signs for every dealer in the country which would probably be in the thousands. I told her no I can,t make that many. She said that's what we require to get a license. I asked her if I could be in trouble with them if I kept on making them and she told me we could go after you if we wanted to and you should stop selling them. So I only make them for myself now. This was about 10 years ago.

In the UK.

Overview

Copyright protects your work and stops others from using it without your permission.

You get copyright protection automatically - you don’t have to apply or pay a fee. There isn’t a register of copyright works in the UK.

You automatically get copyright protection when you create:

• original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic work, including illustration and photography
  • original non-literary written work, such as software, web content and databases
  • sound and music recordings
  • film and television recordings
  • broadcasts
  • the layout of published editions of written, dramatic and musical works

You can mark your work with the copyright symbol (©), your name and the year of creation. Whether you mark the work or not doesn’t affect the level of protection you have.

How copyright protects your work

Copyright prevents people from:

• copying your work
  • distributing copies of it, whether free of charge or for sale
  • renting or lending copies of your work
  • performing, showing or playing your work in public
  • making an adaptation of your work
  • putting it on the internet

22 minutes ago, Phantom Scroller said:

Funny thing you see copyright infringement everywhere on the internet so why are they chasing the little man sounds odd to me.

With cars being stolen out in the parking lot, why go after the little shoplifter inside.

Why go after the guy selling dime bags at the high school when you can get the guy dealing ounces at the nightclub...