junior HAWK scroll saw

DME72

7 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Ray, that is exactly the saw I had. Worked really well. I gave it to a friend. I could have it back since he never uses it but I have no place to put it. The one you show is mounted very nicely. 

28 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Ray, that is exactly the saw I had. Worked really well. I gave it to a friend. I could have it back since he never uses it but I have no place to put it. The one you show is mounted very nicely. 

Rocky, I'd love to have one like that. I like to make small stuff so I surely don't need a 26" throat. It takes up a lot of real estate too. I can almost see mounting that little saw on a slider under the bench. Just slide it out when you want to cut something. I'd really love to find one of those tiny Hobby Saws too.

The saw will not sit flat on a bench without a hole in the bench. First for the drive belt but also some of the mechanism of the saw will hit the bench. The mounting you saw was excellent.  My saw was mounted with two stand offs lifting the saw two inches above the stand and the motor was mounted at the back of the saw. I was in a hurry to get it running. Were I to do it over I would do as your post shows.

16 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

The saw will not sit flat on a bench without a hole in the bench. First for the drive belt but also some of the mechanism of the saw will hit the bench. The mounting you saw was excellent.  My saw was mounted with two stand offs lifting the saw two inches above the stand and the motor was mounted at the back of the saw. I was in a hurry to get it running. Were I to do it over I would do as your post shows.

Yeah, after going back and looking at it again, I guess my idea wouldn't work so good. But, it sure would be nice to have that small base to work with. 

7 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Yeah, after going back and looking at it again, I guess my idea wouldn't work so good. But, it sure would be nice to have that small base to work with. 

I should have saved the link.. I was searching searchtempest and did every state.. There is a Hawk that had the benchtop legs set.. Short little thing.. Think it was a 216 single speed though but the short benchtop legs just made it look funny.. 

Here it is:

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/tls/d/firth-hawk-precision-scroll-saw/7044576141.html

Edited by kmmcrafts

1 minute ago, DME72 said:

wow. those are some old hawk scroll saws. i see hawks  all the time for sale mostly 220 and 226 saws. i still think bushton has done alot of improvements  since they started making the saws. i would worry on some of those really old hawk saws that the parts might not be available anymore.

Most all the parts are the same parts as the bigger saws other than the arms... They sell motor upgrades and you can send the arms in to be re-machined for inserts for the wedges... short of that.. not much you can't just go pick up at a hardware store.. 

Buston really hasn't made much improvements short of changing out the bearing block on the end of the motor and the motor / controller assembly.. RBI designed the G4 saw..  The NEW BM series saw is nothing more than a G4 with a motor change and the bearing on the motor shaft.. short of that I think from what I've seen.. it's the same saw as the G4.. I have the new BM-26.. But I've never been face to face with a G4.. based on pictures etc.. the G4 looks to be the same saw..

PROXXON 2-speed Scroll Saw DS 460

looks so much like the Delta Hegner knock off - i started cutting with like 30-35  years ago -I had like 3 of them one time or another 

they cost like 115 bucks apiece -- cant complain about a cheap saw ( who'd listen )

( 2 deltas and a another red model that was variable speed -cant remember its name but it was a better saw than the Delta )

they were not all that durable -in fact the top bolt on one of them broke and the arms flew off of it while cutting -

definitely Chinese made - i have a nick name for that saw -FRANKENSTIEN  - In fact its made of two different saws

kept it for chuckles - and its base and motor is from the variable speed model -sorry i don't have a photo on hand to post -

think I made the blower for it out of an old fish aquarium pump-- and i put a lexan plastic table cover with a magnet strip to hold it on

becasue the Iron table was coursely made

Edited by Puzzleguy

If I remember correctly, the attempt at a building the 16" Hawk when Bushton first took over, was problematic. I remember some very real vibration issues that were never resolved.

In hind site they would have been better off putting the development funds into marketing the existing G4's and grabbing a bigger chunk of the scroll saw market. JMO

34 minutes ago, Rolf said:

....In hind site they would have been better off putting the development funds into marketing the existing G4's and grabbing a bigger chunk of the scroll saw market. JMO

As machinists, I don't think they understood castings used in the G4s and I'm sure the G4 was cost prohibitive, especially at their volumes.   They understood milling, so they tried to take the ultra platform forward, and relabeled BM.  This was unfortunate I think.  I've not heard a lot new coming from them lately.  I suspect the scroll saw side of their business is "coasting"

Edited by hotshot

i dont know that it is coasting. just not alot of people willing to spend   $1200-1400 on a scroll saw. RBI ended the cast iron frame which was made overseas. along with several other parts. they made about 100 or so  called g4 fusion saws before closing up. the fusion saw went back to the aluminum sides and did away with the casting. all this from another forum  website.

19 minutes ago, DME72 said:

i dont know that it is coasting. just not alot of people willing to spend   $1200-1400 on a scroll saw. RBI ended the cast iron frame which was made overseas. along with several other parts. they made about 100 or so  called g4 fusion saws before closing up. the fusion saw went back to the aluminum sides and did away with the casting. all this from another forum  website.

I'm not sure about that.. There was a bunch of "Very Old" single speed and three speed saws that had the round barrel clamp that had cast iron sides at the back of the saw... Those are pretty early saws ( I believe ) because not a one of them is variable speed that I've seen... I've seen a lot of then.. hundreds of them on craigslist and FB marketplace..  You know right away when you see them as the back part of the saw is painted red instead of being machined aluminum. You couldn't give me one of those very old saws.. sure is a lot of them for sale too..

Well you got me on this one.. The first picture is a old saw I was talking about.. The secont picture is a G4 like you mentioned and looks to have casted sides as you said.. I never seen one like that.. 

00G0G_eNWRrablcLs_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_ckIorvTqHfW_1200x900.jpg

Edited by kmmcrafts

kevin, the info i got from that other forum was from 2010 and the guy was an ex RBI employee. the fusion saw looks like the old ultra sides instead of the red cast iron of the g4. i suspect the arms may have been made in china also, but not sure. the guy was banned on that forum, but not sure why. he had alot of info on hawk saws.