Shrinkage between species

OCtoolguy

I am going to try my hand at inlaying a pattern into the bottom of a wood bowl that Carole Rothman highlighted in one of my magazines. I'm going to make the body of the bowl out of mahogany and I want to inlay an oak leaf into the bottom of the bowl. She used sapele but trying to locate that stuff is a lesson in frustration so I'm going to try to use maple or ash. I want something that will contrast with the mahogany. I was just wondering if I should be worried about shrinkage rates between the two woods. Can anybody offer up any sage advice? Thanks to all who participate.

17 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Karl, the bottom of the bowl will be about 5/16" and the inlay will go all the way through. Not just a surface inlay.

You still won't have any problem. Maple, Ash, and Mahogany are dense enough woods that they will work just fine. Your contrast colors will really pop, too.

Hey Ray, I wouldn’t go with Sapele because it’s pretty close in color to Mahogany. A lighter color wood like Maple would be great. Even Cherry or red oak would work. As far as Sapele goes, I don’t have problems finding it. I use it all the time. I can find it at the local Woodcraft store and I can find it at the hardwood dealer in Oxnard called Mayan Hardwoods. I always buy full size 1” boards and mill it down to the sizes I need.