Another Keepsake Box

Dave Monk

13 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

My oh MY!   You NEVER cease to amaze me, Dave.  That is beautiful.  I have no idea how you made those joints.  Do you have jigs from Incra??  Super job.  I really get excited when I see a knew post by you, I know we are in for a real treat!!

They are just inlayed. The corners are mitered.

7 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Fantastic Dave. Without question you are the best box here. Love your work.

What angle do you cut these at and does it change with thickness or standard angle?? What blade are you using??

Lately I have been using a #1 MGB  set at 1.5 degrees. I always use 3/8 stock when doing inlays. The angle well vary depending on wood thickness and blade size. I used a #65 drill bit for the entry holes.  Using a #3 blade I set my saw a about 1.7 degrees and use a #63 drill bit.

1 hour ago, rjweb said:

I always look forward to looking at your project when I see your post, another beautiful piece, I was thinking of making that box when I saw it in the book, but I can never compare to your excellent workmanship, RJ 

You need to have a little more faith in yourself.  Give it a shot. It was fun. My big concern was drilling through the side into the top to put the hinge pin in.

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

You need to have a little more faith in yourself.  Give it a shot. It was fun. My big concern was drilling through the side into the top to put the hinge pin in.

I do not have the magazine so have not seen the article but was it the same as you shown and done as an inlay project or did you modify this in a few ways. ??

4 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I do not have the magazine so have not seen the article but was it the same as you shown and done as an inlay project or did you modify this in a few ways. ??

They suggested making it out of 1/4" wood. I never use 1/4" unless it is plywood. I didn't understand the instructions very well so I  did it my own way.  I will try to take a couple of pictures to explain how I did the corners.  Writing is not one of my strengths.