Cutting across Edge Joints

cowboyup3371

Please know I tried to search for this first but I think I wasn't using the correct terms so if this has already been answered please let me know where to look

Now that I am almost done with the remake of a display case project I messed up on before Thanksgiving, I'm thinking of making some Valentine's Day gifts for my wife and two daughters.  As I have a lot of scrap oak, I figured I'd use it up but one of the scroll patterns looked to be larger than some of what I have laying around.  Consequently, my first thought was to edge glue two boards to make a wider piece for the pattern.  Although I have since decided on a different pattern that will fit what I have much better and still look good (or so I hope 🙏), I am still curious if cutting across a glue joint would cause any problems?  Is there anything I should consider before tackling something like that?

I know there are a lot out there that say just use plywood but I personally don't care for the look of plywood as the main piece.  I'm sure I will change my mind some day but I really do prefer actual hardwood instead and will use plywood as a back or a bottom

Edited by cowboyup3371

I agree 100% too. Nothing wrong with gluing edge to edge if they are jointed properly and use a good quality wood glue such as TitebondII Clamp well but do not over clamp to squeeze all the glue out and starve the joint. I have used glued boards many times. I prefer hardwoods too and use plywoods when needed.  

Ditto to all of the above.  I would only add that you should examine the grain carefully and try to match the panels up, being especially conscious of how the grain of both pieces flow at the joint.  Red oak has wildly different appearances, based on how the boards are cut from the tree.  Try to get 2 boards with as similar a grain pattern as possible to help hide the glue joint.