Second Attempt

JimErn

Jim, we tend to be are own worst critic. I think it looks fine from what I can see. I believe you have indicated that you are just getting started trying Intarsia. I started with a few much simpler designs and don’t believe I would show pics of mine 😉 I promise, you have done better. ☺️ I do have them to recall where I started. 🤨 Keeping working with it, you will find that you learn something new with each one.

10 hours ago, spirithorse said:

I really like it/them also,
I like the way the head seems to turn but, that also made me notice on further inspection
that one pic must be from the first attempt and the other two pics from the second attempt.
All three pics are fantastic!
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Second attempt, the second piece of intarsia I have tried

Thanks for the kind words.

10 hours ago, meflick said:

Jim, we tend to be are own worst critic. I think it looks fine from what I can see. I believe you have indicated that you are just getting started trying Intarsia. I started with a few much simpler designs and don’t believe I would show pics of mine 😉 I promise, you have done better. ☺️ I do have them to recall where I started. 🤨 Keeping working with it, you will find that you learn something new with each one.

own worst critic - most likely true I guess - it's just I have this concept in my head what it should look like, but ....

Yeah this is the second piece of intarsia I have tried, due to wood constraints it is about one third the size of JGR's pattern

10 hours ago, spirithorse said:

I really like it/them also,
I like the way the head seems to turn but, that also made me notice on further inspection
that one pic must be from the first attempt and the other two pics from the second attempt.
All three pics are fantastic!
Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Ahh  my mistake in posting, the bottom two pics are same, but I had played with turning the axis of the piece and didn't realize I had posted both options

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Jim, I think it looks great. I think the backer needs to be a different color so there is more contrast with the dear head.  I am  far from an expert but I like it when someone critiques my work and gives me suggestions.

I do appreciate it Dave, and you can critique, suggest, or just bang me over the head any time you want.  You are so good at this it amazes me

Hi, Jim,

I also like the gunstock and my wife does not care for it.
I didn't really compare the backer to the deer head because I liked them both
but, now that it has been mentioned, perhaps a lighter backer would have been a
better choice. Probably some shade between the buckskin and the antlers so
that neither of them are lost in the backer color.

God Bless! Spirithorse