Guitar Pick Guard Wood Supplier?

jbrowning

Good morning everyone, sorry to have been away for so long. But it's been to danged cold to work in the garage, so I've been working on repairing/setting up electric guitars. It had come up on a thread on a guitar site about members other hobbies. Well I said woodworking and showed off some of the stuff I've made and someone asked me if I had thought about making a pick guard on the scroll saw in Maple or Burled Walnut. I'm thinking I wood (ha ha) need a thin board 1/8" thin by about 12" x 12" thin. And if this takes off and others want wooden pick guards would I need to invest in a band saw to cut wood this thin? At first I would only want to buy the pieces at 1/8"x12"x12" or wider then 12"

Thank you and I hope everyone has been staying out of trouble.

Jim

Jim, not to burst your bubble but there are many vendors out there who do this and CNC them and make them very decorative and cheap. Look at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/wood-pickguard/s?k=wood+pickguard

Now people on itsy sell as if it is a hobby so prices are higher. 

https://www.etsy.com/market/wood_pickguard

But if still interested you can buy thin stock from various vendors but you are going to pay premium prices for the milling and if wanted in 12 X 12 you will get spliced boards. Ocooch hardwoods, D&D hardwoods, and I am sure there are moore. Getting that thin you then have to worry about warping.  

Now another way to go would be to use veneers and lay on plywoods. More stable. I am not into musical instruments so I am looking at this from the outside looking in. Maybe something more here than I know so maybe other have more in depth ideas. Good luck.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

9 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Well, it was just a thought John. But I wonder how hard it would be to cut one using plastic? That way I would need to worry about it warping.

Very easy. I and many others, use the plastic alot when making pens. They use for segmenting because you can get in various layers and colors.  I just bought some real thin stuff that I want to try wrapping on pen tubes. It looks alot like the guitar picks. Good luck with your venture. 

4 hours ago, Puzzleguy said:

This is a place about 45 minutes from me - 

Talk about a crazy place to buy veneer - 

its grown immensly since my last visit which i think was

like a zillion years ago - this is an amazing place-

https://www.certainlywood.com/

They come to all the woodworking shows and I have bought many veneers from them and their quality is great.