Yet Another Question about Blades

oldhudson

My current project has a lot of 3/4" hardwood (cherry) in it. What style and brand would you suggest. I've tried Olson #5 and #9 skip tooth. Neither cut very well, really slow. Then I tried and #5 Olson Precision Ground. That worked a lot better, but I can't believe there isn't a better choice. Thanks for reading.

I use the sam blade as I always do for 99% of my projects and that is the #5 Penquin silver reverse FD blades. They are my go to blades. I will go to a #7 if the wood is oily such a rosewoods but cherry cuts smooth as silk. Just need to use sharp blades, keep project moving at a good pace and let the blade do the work. You start pushing the piece into the blade at angles not good. That is when you get burning. 

I cut a lot of 3/4" cherry.. I use the shelf liner.. and never had any burning issues.. I also use a #5 Pegas MG blade and cuts really well.. tight turns work well with them too.. My other go to balde was always a FD - UR #5.. but I would sometimes get some burning on tight turns if I wasn't careful..  But boy do those Pegas MG blades work awesome for cutting cherry..I run pretty good speed too.. typically about 7/8 on the dial on the Hawk which probably is around 1600 -1650 SPM.. I run full speed on the EX as it tops out at 1500 SPM.. 

Oldhudson , from years of experience I have to say this -

whats best for you may not be my first choice -it depends on your saw and how you use it -

like how hard you push it , wood ,etc - even the individual piece of wood can vary in density from

piece to piece - also depends on how tight you want the pieces to fit together -9's might be too much

and 5's might be right on -but again it varys from scroller to scrollsaw used  -as well as the speed and the brand and type of blade  .

Edited by Puzzleguy