SSV's Political Platform

Travis

Hi all.  Just a reminder political discussions are not allowed on SSV.  Please read the first post of this thread as it spells it out pretty clearly.

We try hard to keep things on topic and free of political and religious discussions.  However, SSV is a big place and I'm not able to read everything.  So if you see something that needs attention, please report it so I or Clayton can review it.  It's a much better solution than getting worked up, or rage quitting SSV

Thanks All!

Okay, so I've seen some questionable post here and there.. a couple times I was going to report it but I couldn't figure out how to report it.. I just came here to ask how to and then while reading the topic I found it. I've clicked on all the things at the bottom of a posting next to the Quote button but couldn't find it.. Now I see it at the top right of the post.. it's kinda grayed out until the mouse is hovered over it.. Now I Know.. :) and hopefully now that I pointed that out.. maybe someone else will benefit by knowing where it's at..

Thanks Travis and Clayton for keeping the site cleaned up..:) 

Not only do Travis and Clayon keep the place straight, it is largely due to the folks here wanting a place to discuss a common interest and for the most part, we push our chairs back under the table and turn out the lights when we leave.

It's Travis's house and he invited us come sit around the fireplace and talk. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good enough for me.
I just keep on scrolling if I see something I  don't agree with, Just like I wouldn't stop the car and complain or spray paint a reply on a bill board I never agreed with, just keep on keeping on.
People are going to have a hard job changing my mind about a lot of things and I reckon I would have the same problem with them, so I'd rather have a beer then stress about immovable objects.

Travis, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just asking for my own curiosity. What about in the Coffee Room forum? Isn't that more of a relaxed atmosphere and general topics allowed? I don't spend any time there but I know some folks do. But, if a topic that has nothing to do with our hobby is brought up, can it be chatted upon or debated? I don't care one way or another but just for general consumption so we all know what is what. Thanks and please keep on doing what you do. We ALL appreciate your hard work. OH, and I do remember "bulletin boards". 

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Travis, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just asking for my own curiosity. What about in the Coffee Room forum? Isn't that more of a relaxed atmosphere and general topics allowed? I don't spend any time there but I know some folks do. But, if a topic that has nothing to do with our hobby is brought up, can it be chatted upon or debated? I don't care one way or another but just for general consumption so we all know what is what. Thanks and please keep on doing what you do. We ALL appreciate your hard work. OH, and I do remember "bulletin boards". 

Coffee House is a place for off topic conversations, but the same forum rules still apply (those are found here).  Even though it's off topic, politics and religion are not allowed.  A conversation may feel lighthearted to the original poster, but these subjects will spin wildly out of control.  Most of us identify with with a certain belief system that is core to our identity.   When we attack or poke fun at one of those belief systems, it's easy to take it as a personal attack.  So that is why we have that long-standing rule.  I want to focus on what brings us together, not what tears us apart.

I have several posts within this thread that clarifies a lot of stuff, so that might be helpful for new folks.  I hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Coffee House is a place for off topic conversations, but the same forum rules still apply (those are found here).  Even though it's off topic, politics and religion are not allowed.  A conversation may feel lighthearted to the original poster, but these subjects will spin wildly out of control.  Most of us identify with with a certain belief system that is core to our identity.   When we attack or poke fun at one of those belief systems, it's easy to take it as a personal attack.  So that is why we have that long-standing rule.  I want to focus on what brings us together, not what tears us apart.

I have several posts within this thread that clarifies a lot of stuff, so that might be helpful for new folks.  I hope that helps.

Thanks Travis, that answer satisfies my curiosity completely. 

• 1 year later...

Hi All.

I'm gunna bump this thread just as a reminder about SSV's policy on political commentary and discussion.  For the love of all things, please don't.  🙏

I'm also copy/pasting my follow-up comment that really sums me up:

I'd also like to followup....dealing with political posts, either explicit or subtle jabs, is my LEAST favorite chore in running SSV.  If anything, please make my life a little easier and refrain from politics.  It will really help my stress levels.  :rofl:

Thanks all.  And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:14 PM, OCtoolguy said:

Yes, thanks Travis. I know I'm the biggest offender. I'll try to watch myself a bit closer. Maybe we need another icon that is a slap to the side of the head just for me. Sorry everybody.

No you are not,,, You do not know how many responses I have written,, and then changed my mind before hitting save.... It is hard for me an old trouble maker,,, but I try...  But I agree,,,not the place... and good for Travis for watch us...OOPPs this is an old post.... ignore me,,,, I wasn't even here...

Edited by Scrappile

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, timelett said:

Will I be in trouble if I don't know what Facebook is? Or have a account their? 

Obviously you don't have a need to vent. I use FB as my escape valve. That's why I have 4 accounts and I.D.'s They keep putting me in their form of jail so I keep creating new accounts. If I couldn't release from time to time, I'd blow my top.

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

Obviously you don't have a need to vent. I use FB as my escape valve. That's why I have 4 accounts and I.D.'s They keep putting me in their form of jail so I keep creating new accounts. If I couldn't release from time to time, I'd blow my top.

Ever thought of sitting down and writing all your 'gripes' on a piece of paper?  Then you could just screw it up with as much vehemence as you wish without cluttering the 'ether' or offending anyone at all, bin it or burn it and still feel better. !  😆

3 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Ever thought of sitting down and writing all your 'gripes' on a piece of paper?  Then you could just screw it up with as much vehemence as you wish without cluttering the 'ether' or offending anyone at all, bin it or burn it and still feel better. !  😆

Not the same thing. I vent to let folks know how I feel. If I offend somebody along the way, well, that's life. Not here though. I've learned my lesson for broaching any touchy subject matter here. And I agree, this is not the place for it. I truthfully never read all the rules and regs. I just said I'd abide by them. Fine print is not my forte. Anyway, this subject has not become boring so I'll get on with making some form or air pollution.

My gosh... I come here to get away from politics,,, all kinds of places to talk politics other than a scrolling forum but here we have 2 pages of response on no politics.. We all just cannot let it go.... I was the one that recently complained to Travis about a political thread,,, he shut it down.. but here we are... on an on... I guess I do not fit in here any more...I get my political fix at political forums and fake new out lets,,,not on the wood working forums I belong to... guess I need a break... let me know when  Believe me I am political, but I pick the appropriate places...

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

My gosh... I come here to get away from politics,,, all kinds of places to talk politics other than a scrolling forum but here we have 2 pages of response on no politics.. We all just cannot let it go.... I was the one that recently complained to Travis about a political thread,,, he shut it down.. but here we are... on an on... I guess I do not fit in here any more...I get my political fix at political forums and fake new out lets,,,not on the wood working forums I belong to... guess I need a break... let me know when  Believe me I am political, but I pick the appropriate places...

Nothing political here Paul. I was just explaining myself to Brenda and saying that I go along with the rules and regs. No politics. 

• Travis locked this topic