when things don't come out right

Dragonkort

well im good at showing pics of projects that come out nice, but no matter how long you' been scrolling or doing any woodcrafting  there are time when the projct just doesn't come out right!  Im trying to make steve goods elephant cell phone charger thingy. (don't you just love my precise detaled way of talking? lol)   Its another one of those slot and tab patterns I love so much but can never seem to get the slots and tabs cut out so the tabs fit into the slots. lol I cut out 8 of these things. 4 the size of the pattern and 4 after I inlarged the pattern.   now I tried to do some fignatling to get the thing together and after about half an hour spike came in to see what I was doing. by this time I was very frustrated to say the least. lol so he said ok you go sit down and let me see what I can do. He did a good job of making every thing fit together and filled in the holes so once painted you wouldn't know the slots and tabs hadn't work out right and that was nice. well about 5 this morning I woke up and since I couldn't go back to sleep I decided to paint the elephants....they look like elephants but they really don't look all that good. I cerently couldn't sell them so now I have 6 of these cut out and im trying to figue out how I might salvage them.   So far iv only come up with one idea and I don't  know if it will work or not. first i'll have to get the tabs to fit into the slots as best as possible and then before glueing every thing together i'll take my spray adheasive and glue some fabric to the outsides of the project,  hopefuly  hiding all the fignaglie  to get it together.  if it still doesn't look good i'll keep the little painted one and the enlarged one im putting fabric on for my own use and just have to use the wood from the others to make magnets or other small parts for other projects.  When I get the fabric covered one done I'll load up both pictures no matter how they turn out.  I think its good for new scrollers / woodworkers to see that even those of us who hav been doing it for years cant always get the project right the first time around!!! lol

On 3/5/2020 at 11:37 AM, Dragonkort said:

well im good at showing pics of projects that come out nice, but no matter how long you' been scrolling or doing any woodcrafting  there are time when the projct just doesn't come out right!  Im trying to make steve goods elephant cell phone charger thingy. (don't you just love my precise detaled way of talking? lol)   Its another one of those slot and tab patterns I love so much but can never seem to get the slots and tabs cut out so the tabs fit into the slots. lol I cut out 8 of these things. 4 the size of the pattern and 4 after I inlarged the pattern.   now I tried to do some fignatling to get the thing together and after about half an hour spike came in to see what I was doing. by this time I was very frustrated to say the least. lol so he said ok you go sit down and let me see what I can do. He did a good job of making every thing fit together and filled in the holes so once painted you wouldn't know the slots and tabs hadn't work out right and that was nice. well about 5 this morning I woke up and since I couldn't go back to sleep I decided to paint the elephants....they look like elephants but they really don't look all that good. I cerently couldn't sell them so now I have 6 of these cut out and im trying to figue out how I might salvage them.   So far iv only come up with one idea and I don't  know if it will work or not. first i'll have to get the tabs to fit into the slots as best as possible and then before glueing every thing together i'll take my spray adheasive and glue some fabric to the outsides of the project,  hopefuly  hiding all the fignaglie  to get it together.  if it still doesn't look good i'll keep the little painted one and the enlarged one im putting fabric on for my own use and just have to use the wood from the others to make magnets or other small parts for other projects.  When I get the fabric covered one done I'll load up both pictures no matter how they turn out.  I think its good for new scrollers / woodworkers to see that even those of us who hav been doing it for years cant always get the project right the first time around!!! lol

And then God created the wood stove!

Edited by octoolguy

My question is a simple one. Well maybe not. What do folks do with all the odd shaped scraps that they end up with. I make a lot of baskets and bowls etc. and I seem to end up with a ton of scraps that have had round shapes cut out of them leaving just the corners and whatever might have survived the cutting around the outside. I now have a plastic tub of them and I just can't bring myself to toss them all out. At what point does a cutoff become a useless scrap? 

lol I know the feeling, spike often asks me if I EVER throw anything out!!!  Now im not sure if this would work for you or not I havnt really done much as far a bowl...but I save all my little scraps of wood and the thin ones 1/4 inch I think it is I make magnets out of. and you don't have to buy or make your own patterns. you can make magnets out of any small picture you can get on the wood that can be painted. I'll look around and see if I can find or take pics of the magnets I have. the kids helped me decorate for the holidays and now I don't know where half of my non holiday things are. lol  another thing you can do with these small pieces of wood is go to the winerfiels collection and get there small layered animanl patterns. there are a great way to use up scrap pieces i'll go through my boxes and upload some pics of those for you.  Now I also do a ton of other crafts....forgive me if this is a little off topic....I take milk jug rings you kow the ones that area left after you break the seal? well I crochet around those then put a back on it and I make picture frames  out of those, one of the things I do with my scrap wood the  1/4 inch wood I think it is is I cut out small pictures I trace from magazines and order books or where ever I can find small coloring book like pictures. I transfer the pic to my wood cut the out paint them and then glue them to the picture frames. I must admit im running out of plastic rings but its ok as iv figured out how to crochet poptab rings into the same kind of picture frame. lol  you can also use them as overlays ( might not be the right term)  I made myself a book shelf a few years ago and over layed some of the cut out scraps to the outside after I cleaned the up. im sure theres more you can do with the scraps but my mind just isn't giving me them right now lol

your right trackman,  lol iv had several of those over the years....now you would think I would just forget about those pesty little old elephant phone charges but nnnoooo lol Iv dug out the spray adheistve and pick out some cloth to see if I can do some damage control lol some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. then I'll work on something else for awhile and then torment my self with those pesty little elephants again and again and again until I get it right, run out of wood,  or drive every living thing is this house batty!!! lol but this time iv been able to get some expert advice and help. usuly I just have to keep playing with it and talking to spike who normaly isn't quite sure what im talking about. lol oh hes good at building things and fixing things but this craft stuff sort of takes him a minute or two to grasp what im trying to do. lol hes better at it now then he was years ago. the man has learned a lot about woodcrafts and I don't know how many times hes torn my sewing machine apart and fixed it for me. lol and to think 15 years ago he didn't even know what a craft was. lol

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

My question is a simple one. Well maybe not. What do folks do with all the odd shaped scraps that they end up with. I make a lot of baskets and bowls etc. and I seem to end up with a ton of scraps that have had round shapes cut out of them leaving just the corners and whatever might have survived the cutting around the outside. I now have a plastic tub of them and I just can't bring myself to toss them all out. At what point does a cutoff become a useless scrap? 

Being I do a bunch of inlays I have a pile of stuff that are from the drop outs. I'm sure I could make something with them but I have too many other things I want to make. 

lol I know that feeling to, lol besides woodworking I knit sew crochet and do plastic canvas. then theres ingraving on glass with my ingraving tools. I also know how to  do sandblasting. when my ex died I inhearetd his blasting cabnit. when we were together we used an old washingmachine for that. I have every thing I need to start doing that again, only problem is I don't know how to hook everything up to air compresser so it will do the sandblasting lol spike dosnt either...I hope this summer I can use the computer to find some examples and instructions on how to hook everything up.lol but of course that's not what were here for!!! im just taking a break from hunting up a new wood project to start. lol huumm I bet that's how i get a box or two of unfinished crafts!!! lol 

I had that problem, the wood stove took care of two totes of problem pieces.  And of course I turned the lights out in the shop, and low and behold a few days later I had more little pieces of wood - what they breed when the lights are out??

Now that I have started trying to lean intarsia, the type of wood scraps are better or more varied, and intarsia allows for me to use the smaller pieces - well when I have built up a larger qty of smaller pieces - I hope, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

19 hours ago, Dragonkort said:

Im trying to make steve goods elephant cell phone charger thingy. (don't you just love my precise detaled way of talking? lol)   Its another one of those slot and tab patterns I love so much but can never seem to get the slots and tabs cut out so the tabs fit into the slots. lol I cut out 8 of these things. 4 the size of the pattern and 4 after I inlarged the pattern.   

When you enlarge the slot and tab pattern your slots will be wider than the thickness of wooden tab that is cut making the cut tab narrower than the cut slot. The width of the slot on the pattern is cut for the thickness of the wood.  

I try to cut the slot slightly smaller than the pattern shows and sand or file the slot to the size of the tab.

Larry

16 hours ago, Dragonkort said:

lol I know that feeling to, lol besides woodworking I knit sew crochet and do plastic canvas. then theres ingraving on glass with my ingraving tools. I also know how to  do sandblasting. when my ex died I inhearetd his blasting cabnit. when we were together we used an old washingmachine for that. I have every thing I need to start doing that again, only problem is I don't know how to hook everything up to air compresser so it will do the sandblasting lol spike dosnt either...I hope this summer I can use the computer to find some examples and instructions on how to hook everything up.lol but of course that's not what were here for!!! im just taking a break from hunting up a new wood project to start. lol huumm I bet that's how i get a box or two of unfinished crafts!!! lol 

Hooking it up would be no problem as long as you have a Big compressor. And make sure you run the air through a good dryer/filter to keep the media dry. 

On 3/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, octoolguy said:

Well, as I have explained over and over to my husband 😉 if you do Intarsia work, there is no "scraps" to get rid of. Often small pieces are all you need. That said, I have put many small pieces into the "burn bucket" kept in the shop - you eventually run out of room if you keep every scrap.  However, if its beautiful hard and/or exotic wood used, its definitely kept, even those little pieces. 😉😊

On 3/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, Dragonkort said:

I think someone should open a site to sell projects that didn't work right and call it 'OOPS' RJF