Paint / Background paint

Good day i would like to start by saying thank for the add. I'm new at doing scrolling. I'm planing to do it as a hobby to give gift to my grandchildren and family. Here is my question i would like to know if you guys use a specific paint for your scrolling projects and what do you guy use in general for your background is it paint or other stuff ? Thank you very much for your support. I'm sorry for my english writing i'm a french Canadian. Have a good day

I'm not an expert by any means but the one thing that comes to mind is make sure whatever you use is non-toxic if used on kids toys etc.

Also, welcome to The Village. No apology necessary for your English. Heck, a lot of us who were born in the U.S. are still having trouble with the language. Keep the questions coming and post pictures of your work. We LOVE new scrollers.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:57 PM, octoolguy said:

I'm not an expert by any means but the one thing that comes to mind is make sure whatever you use is non-toxic if used on kids toys etc.

Also, welcome to The Village. No apology necessary for your English. Heck, a lot of us who were born in the U.S. are still having trouble with the language. Keep the questions coming and post pictures of your work. We LOVE new scrollers.

Thank you very much i'm new at scrolling an i love it. I'm starting to be addicted . And yes i'll be posting pictures of my work.

When I paint I usually use acrylic. I buy the little bottles from craft stores or walmart. Shelia Landry is a scroller and painter and she recommended DecoArt paints and I really like them. Depending on brand and store the little bottles are between $0.50-2.00. the more expensive are usually things like metallic or glitter. 

I also use spray paint for some things and love Rustoleum 2x ultra coverage. it has tons of colors and covers well. I use the clear gloss for the top coat on most of my projects.

Hi Christian,

There are many ways to have a backers.  Some people use felt on the back of the piece, some people use colored cardboard.  I typically use a 1/4 piece of Luan plywood and spray paint it the color i need.  I sometime apply some masking tape in the area where the backing meets the scrolled piece to make sure the glues adhere better.  There are many ways to do it.

Note: Je suis aux Vermont et peux discutter en francais si tu le desir!