Needlepoint Box

tbphotos

post-4970-134955569975_thumb.jpgThis is a box that I made as a request from a neighbor that wanted one of her needlepoint samples inlaid into the cover of the box. The top and bottom are pine, the sides are 1/4" birch plywood, stained with Summer Oak and 2 coats of gloss varathane applied. I glued a piece of black felt into the inside bottom of the box as well.

Hi Mike, sorry I don't have a close-up of the inlay, and I've already given the box to the lady, but the decorative inlay square is one of her own needlepoint samples. What I did was router out a square on the top (cover) of the box(about 1/8" deep), then glued a piece of gloss white poster board in there, and then with transparent double-sided tape on the underside of the needlepoint pressed it into place on the white poster board, so the needlepoint canvass is basically flush with the outer edges of the cover. Hope this explains what you were asking.

Trevor

No, Mike, I didn't put any finish on top of the inlay. It did cross my mind, but I was worried that it might 'yellow' the white canvass material or otherwise ruin it some way. Do you have any suggestions about this kind of thing? Any comments appreciated.

Nope sorry no suggestions, I'd never seen a box done like that. Looks like a great idea that's why all the questions.

I was thinking what might be interesting would be a self leveling clear epoxy. Basically fill in the inlay flush with the wood. Not sure how it would work out but I was thinking it would protect the knitting and you'd never have to worry about it coming out (the tape coming unstuck)