Another watch what your doing on a table saw thread

Oldmansbike

I don't post much on here mostly just read but I feel that I should share what happened to me today.

This has nothing to do with a scroll saw but I use my table saw to cut boards to size for scrolling. I was cutting the shelves for a cabinet I'm making on the table saw. I was sawing the last one an had just sawed threw the end of the board when I  heard a noise behind me. I turned to look and when I turned my hand turned the shelf board into the blade. It climbed up the blade and shot back towards me. Luckily I was standing off to the side so it didn't hit me in the body but it did catch my left hand. It peeled the skin off the back of my hand from the knuckles to almost my wrist. Bled like a stuck hog. I think I will put the blade guard back on. Just a reminder to pay attention when using a table saw. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react.

One of my pet peeves with table saws is when the user removes the upper saw guard. Not so much that the upper guard is gone, but that piece that holds the upper guard is called a Riving Knife. It is the thin metal piece behind the blade that keeps the board from turning into the back of the spinning saw blade. When the board hits the back of the blade - which is spinning in the direction of the user - the blade will cause that board to fly.

Having said that - I do not use the upper guard, it gets in the way of the jigs I use when cutting segments for bowls and other pieces. But, my SawStop came with an extra riving knife, that sits behind the blade and is just shorter than the height of the blade. And, when I'm not using jigs, I'm using my Incra miter for cross cutting and Grr-Ripper push blocks for ripping.

Any one who uses a push stick,  on a table saw, with no upper guard or riving knife, is begging for a trip to the ER. And I know a lot of old timers who yell "I've been doing it for years with no problem!" I, also, know a few of them who yell that while waving their hands with missing fingers.

I have no business or professional relation to Micro-Jig, Incremental Tools, or Sawstop - I am just a happy user of their products and strongly recommend them.

Consider ---

Micro-Jig Grr-Ripper push block set $80 - you'll need two so $160 on Amazon

Incra Miter Gauge with fence - $190  -  $250 on Amazon

or Kreg Miter Gauge with fence - $150 on Amazon

Amazon has different Riving Knives for $15 - $60 depending on your brand of table saw.

OR

Trip to the emergency room because of a table saw accident $10,000 -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Note - Sawstops are expensive because of the safety features built into them. They are excellent saws, but there many excellent table saws that work very well when used correctly. I have a Sawstop because my wife watched a live demo of one at a wood show. When my old table saw died, I had little choice in the brand of my new one. I imagine, that many home owners of Sawstops had wives that watched the demo.

Edited by tgiro
spelling

7 hours ago, tgiro said:

One of my pet peeves with table saws is when the user removes the upper saw guard. Not so much that the upper guard is gone, but that piece that holds the upper guard is called a Riving Knife. It is the thin metal piece behind the blade that keeps the board from turning into the back of the spinning saw blade. When the board hits the back of the blade - which is spinning in the direction of the user - the blade will cause that board to fly.

Having said that - I do not use the upper guard, it gets in the way of the jigs I use when cutting segments for bowls and other pieces. But, my SawStop came with an extra riving knife, that sits behind the blade and is just shorter than the height of the blade. And, when I'm not using jigs, I'm using my Incra miter for cross cutting and Grr-Ripper push blocks for ripping.

Any one who uses a push stick,  on a table saw, with no upper guard or riving knife, is begging for a trip to the ER. And I know a lot of old timers who yell "I've been doing it for years with no problem!" I, also, know a few of them who yell that while waving their hands with missing fingers.

I have no business or professional relation to Micro-Jig, Incremental Tools, or Sawstop - I am just a happy user of their products and strongly recommend them.

Consider ---

Micro-Jig Grr-Ripper push block set $80 - you'll need two so $160 on Amazon

Incra Miter Gauge with fence - $190  -  $250 on Amazon

or Kreg Miter Gauge with fence - $150 on Amazon

Amazon has different Riving Knives for $15 - $60 depending on your brand of table saw.

OR

Trip to the emergency room because of a table saw accident $10,000 -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Note - Sawstops are expensive because of the safety features built into them. They are excellent saws, but there many excellent table saws that work very well when used correctly. I have a Sawstop because my wife watched a live demo of one at a wood show. When my old table saw died, I had little choice in the brand of my new one. I imagine, that many home owners of Sawstops had wives that watched the demo.

I am one of them old timers you speak of done it that way for years. As I  get older I'm not as steady on my feet as I use to be so I'm putting the guards back on all my machines after this happening. It happens so fast you don't have time to react.

About 10 years ago I was useing a table saw and of corse I had taken that blade guard off, They are always in the way,.I heard somehing and turned my heaad and za[ tjere went my thumb , it was cut right at the nuckle and dit was shattered, so my choice was have a short thumb or have a stiff one. I couldn't see how to mouth a large Mouth bass with a stiff thumb os I learned how to do it with a short one.. It could have been worse like cutting severa;l fingers off.Now I use the saw with the guard on.

ike

To oppose to what all of you are saying;  Years ago I took an Adult Ed course at a community college.  They had a half dozen expensive industrial table saws for teaching their carpenter students.  NOT A GUARD IN SITE.

It doesn't matter if you are operating a power tool, a car, bulldozer or a toothbrush.  It is and will always be a matter of how careful, or careless do you want to be.

jerry

I've told my wife that if you see me running a saw, anything from the table saw to the scroll saw. Just stand off to the side where I can see you. As soon as I'm done I'll shut down and we can talk. Don't turn lights off, don't yell, and for god sakes don't come up and touch me! If I'm concentrating and you startle me that's worse than anything. 

On 4/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, Ken O said:

I've told my wife that if you see me running a saw, anything from the table saw to the scroll saw. Just stand off to the side where I can see you. As soon as I'm done I'll shut down and we can talk. Don't turn lights off, don't yell, and for god sakes don't come up and touch me! If I'm concentrating and you startle me that's worse than anything. 

My wife does the same.  She asked me once why I didn't just turn the saw off and talk to her....I showed her how long it takes the table saw to spin down (Rigid, dang thing has NASA-level bearings in it and takes a good minute to spin down!), and how a project on my scroll saw likes to jump if the blade is still clamped in a kerf when the saw starts back up...usually with my fingers somewhere in a place that will get them smacked pretty good by the project.  She makes sure to step off to the side, in my line of vision (I'm nearsighted, but have pretty good peripheral), and I'll nod to let her know I see her, and either finish up the cut I'm doing or if its a big enough area I'll cut a little loop out and park the blade inside that.

I am guilty of not using safety devices on my saw and I have been hit a couple of times with flying wood for that very reason. I guess I  think I can handle this saw, as long as i am really careful. Worse then losing a thumb or finger, I could lose the sight of an eye, or both, just as easily. This is not the first post where this sort of  topic is mentioned, but I am glad it is here once more, for anyone that is as pig -headed as I am. I am going to go out to the shop and see if I still have those  safety pieces available and put them back on my table saw. I do not like the inside fear I go through, every time I use it. Thanks for posting. I will post again when and if, I get those pieces back in place.  I will be 80 years old in about a week and I am not interested in spending what little life I have left, without the full use of any of my extremities just because I am too stubborn to take care of my own needs

Dick

heppnerguy