Old Iron

Rockytime

19 hours ago, Rockytime said:

CharleyL posted how he developed a precision drill press table. This started my search for another bench top drill press. I have a floor drill and a bench drill press but it is in my basement shop which does me no good in the scroll shop. I use the Dremel plunge router to poke holes in my patterns but it does wobble a bit and is cumbersome to change drill bits. I had looked at several from Ryobi to Harbor Freight. Last night i spotted an Atlas bench top drill press. Circa late 40's to 50's. This is a fantastic piece of iron. Very heavy with a chuck that will grip a #70 drill bit accurately. It had been posted for only a couple hours on Facebook marketplace. Price was $75. I committed to buy it sight unseen. Picked it up this afternoon. Should say my wife and I managed to get into her SUV. Getting home a neighbor carried it into my shop. A new belt, a little rust remover and a few drops of oil and it's good to go.

CharleyL's lazer information will get the lazer ordered and installed.

1-20200420_140745.jpg

2-20200420_140844.jpg

3-20200420_140804.jpg

4-20200420_141144.jpg

1-20200420_144835.jpg

Les, that's the sort of deal I have been waiting to come along. I used to have one just like that but it was a Craftsman. The part I loved best is the spindle lock. You can put that spindle anywhere you want it and lock it there. I miss that feature so much. I'll have to get more serious about finding another one. There is one near me but they are asking way too much for it.

14 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Craftsman was made by Atlas or even by Delta. I know guys in our machinists club that Craftsman lathes and Atlas lathes and they are the same. 

Yeah, Sears NEVER made anything of their own. Everything was made by whoever came in with the lowest bid.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a very nice and well kept drill press. Unfortunately, motors of this size are not worth rebuilding. The centrifugal switch in the non-shaft end of the motor likely stuck from no use, leaving the start winding energized. Start windings aren't designed to survive continuous use, so likely burned up when the switch got stuck. It's a shame, but a newer motor is likely fairly easy to find. You might want to put a slightly larger one on, since these old drill presses usually came with very small 1/4 or 1/3 hp motors. 

Be sure to check the direction of rotation and the operating voltage in the replacement before you buy it. Some can be changed, many can't.

Charley

On 4/21/2020 at 5:39 PM, Rockytime said:

Craftsman was made by Atlas or even by Delta. I know guys in our machinists club that Craftsman lathes and Atlas lathes and they are the same. 

les, the craftsman 101 series metal lathes were made by atlas. the smaller 109 series were not made by atlas, they were made by the ann arbor company. dont know if atlas made craftsman wood lathes.

doug

mine is almost identical - not the atlas name 

think i bought it for like 50 bucks a zillion years ago.

since then i bought a full size metal working rockwell delta from a local BOCES

for like 100 bucks - but the original drill press will stay when we down size .

Edited by Puzzleguy

1 hour ago, Puzzleguy said:

mine is almost identical - not the atlas name 

think i bought it for like 50 bucks a zillion years ago.

since then i bought a full size metal working rockwell delta from a local BOCES

for like 100 bucks - but the original drill press will stay when we down size .

Yup, they are classic. You are another fortunate of old iron.