Old Iron

Rockytime

1 minute ago, Rockytime said:

I see Walker Turner floor drill presses on craigslist occasionally. The are pretty pricey or would own one!

A friend of mine needed a portable table saw...I gave him a Skil I wasn't using...he gave me the Walker that he was no longer using for mortises.  He had upgraded to the Jet mortiser...I think I walked away with the better deal...

27 minutes ago, Woodmaster1 said:

I have an extra craftsman motor from that age if you lived in the area instead couple of thousand miles away it would be yours for pickup.

That would be a very generous offer.I bought a used 1/2hp motor from a salvage yard where my friend works. Since the mounting holes on the used motor did not match the Atlas motor plate my friend made an adapter plate which worked fine. The motor had four wires coming out of it which I did not know what to do with. I took it to a motor repair shop near where I live and wanted a line cord wired into it. The owner said we should see if it runs. He plugged it in and immediately it started heating up . It was drawing more than four amps. That shot that idea. This morning I took the old motor to the shop. He said I can repair anything if you can afford to pay for it. He will give me an estimate in a week or so. Irregardless what it will cost I will have the original motor back on the drill. That will be great!

6 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

That cheap drill press is about to get pricey. I hope they give you a break on the repair. Probably not.

I guess it's only money. I've blown lots of money over 80 plus years on things I have not regretted. At this point in my life I don't worry much. My wife is taken care of should I pass first. My two daughters have more money than I ever had so all is good. Don't want to be foolish but at the same time we don't skimp on much.

32 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I guess it's only money. I've blown lots of money over 80 plus years on things I have not regretted. At this point in my life I don't worry much. My wife is taken care of should I pass first. My two daughters have more money than I ever had so all is good. Don't want to be foolish but at the same time we don't skimp on much.

Excellent frame of mind Les. Nothing to worry about. Just live. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I got the bad news on my drill motor. It needs a complete rewinding which will go well over my $200 limit. Back to looking for a motor. I'll try to find an original otherwise I will have to purchase an modern motor which means making an adapter plate as the Atlas motor mount is no longer standard. Also it just won't look right. I could buy a new drill for the same money but would have to change out the cheap, crap chuck. Besides I love old iron. Bummed!

19 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Well, I got the bad news on my drill motor. It needs a complete rewinding which will go well over my $200 limit. Back to looking for a motor. I'll try to find an original otherwise I will have to purchase an modern motor which means making an adapter plate as the Atlas motor mount is no longer standard. Also it just won't look right. I could buy a new drill for the same money but would have to change out the cheap, crap chuck. Besides I love old iron. Bummed!

You might consider "shopping" around for a better price Les. There has to be more than one motor shop. Or another idea is to put a "want to buy" on eBay with all the specs of your motor and sit back and wait to see if one comes up. I see lots of old parts on there all the time. You could build a complete "old" bandsaw from parts on there but it would cost a fortune to do it that way. Worth a try though. Send me the info and I'll see what I can find.

Edited by octoolguy

• 2 weeks later...