Its dying

Sorry to hear that a " Loved One " is ill in your shop. after viewing all of the work you have posted, that saw has truely earned a place in time. Should maybe put a portfolio of photos with the saw of your creations, mount the saw on a shrine. Maybe Craftsman would sponser you a new saw.

Hope you can get the Ex.

Things don't happen by chance!Your going to be the proud owner of an excaliber sooner than you think.Congradulations on your choice,your work will really reflect now!You put your time in ,now is the time for change!You'll wonder why you waited so long.I went from 8 chinese saws which i enjoyed and loved but aquired a dw788 and it surpasses all expectations of what a good saw could be.Run and get that new saw! :)

Might be worth while to expose its innards a bit and check the electrical connections from the switch on back.

Blow out some dust, clean contacts, might be able to coax it back to life.

If the speed is alternating on its own, its being deprived of juice somewhere down the line, the solution may be free, simple and take but 15 minutes.

My delta did basically the same thing. I thought it was the motor but it turned out to be the on / off switch. On the other hand I have a mastercraft that sometimes speeds up and slows down on its own. Haven't sorted that yet. It still works and hasn't done it for awhile.

Sue

IMHO craftsman makes excellent mechanics tools but their wood working tools are junk.

I've got a craftsman table saw too and I absolutely hate it. Its just very inaccurate It will be upgraded at some point as well.

The scrollsaw is ok for mild scrolling but I've been doing about 6 to 8 hours a day 6 days a week 3 weeks per month every month for a long while now and it just can't keep up.

It's time for a commercial grade saw.

You are right, I think Craftsman diversified their offerings a bit too much, and quality has suffered.

Most, if not all, of their power tools can be thought of as the top of the line of the bargain brands - A step up from harbor freight, to be sure, but far from the quality that used to be expected from the brand.

I'm a union carpenter often involved in some heavy construction projects, there is never a single Craftsman power tool on the job, out of 100's, sometimes 1,000's, of power tools.

My 20" c-arm craftsman had a mind of it's own.speed problems,start up problems and finally runaway full throttle speeds faster than the saw ever went on it's own.I put it down and started useing another craftsman ,18" but the squeeking from none user spots drove me nuts .I'm down to 2 saws now ,the dw788 and a brand new dremil 1830 workstation thats got a squeeking problem too from non accessable points that need to be oiled.I drilled holes in the side where it needs oil but it needs oil to offen for my comfort. :)

• 3 weeks later...