A little gift for a friends birthday

heppnerguy

18 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Dick, what don't you like about it. That looks great. I wish I knew how to do that.

There is no secret. anyone that can scroll, can do intarsia. I made my first intarsia on a band saw. If you would like to try one, I can send you the pattern that I made on the band saw and you can make it. It is only 4  or 5  pieces and you will find you can do it with no problem.  Want to give it  a go???

Dick

heppnerguy

2 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

There is no secret. anyone that can scroll, can do intarsia. I made my first intarsia on a band saw. If you would like to try one, I can send you the pattern that I made on the band saw and you can make it. It is only 4  or 5  pieces and you will find you can do it with no problem.  Want to give it  a go???

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Dick. You have more confidence in doing that, then I do. I guess I can give it a try seeing that i'm just hanging around .coped up all alone here. Thanks, Ralph.

16 hours ago, Fred Kile said:

I really enjoy seeing what you are going to come up with next. I haven't done any intarsia projects yet but have plans to try it soon. 

I see you live in Goodyear. As you may have seen, I live in Casa Grande. Maybe after all this crazy epidemic settles down, we might get together and get to be friends. We certainly would be starting off with something we already have in common. I have met several people from here in The Village and as a result, have some good new friends as a result. If you are interested at all, let me know..

Dick

heppnerguy 

On 4/29/2020 at 7:48 AM, Fred Kile said:

If we don't get together physically we can at least still be friends in the Village. If I have any questions regarding intarsia may I contact you for advice? Whenever I do an intarsia project I'll be sure to share it with you for a a critique. Have a blessed day! 

I am always here to help anyone with anything i can, even though i am a long ways from a what I consider an accomplished scroller or intarsia person. I have helped several people get started in pattern making and other scrolling tasks. I am not very well versed and any of it but I am able to help someone who is just starting something to give some help to get them on their way. Maybe we could get together and share our skills with each other, as everyone has something another person, who is willing to listen, can learn from. I have 2 Excaliber saws and a big work bench, so anything could be possible.

Dick

heppnerguy

21 hours ago, Dragonkort said:

Happy birthday dick!!! now about the intarsha, I don't try it because you have to use different types of wood, what I do try every now and then it the segmented projects... I think its similar but with the segmented projects I can use nice cheap pine and either stain or paint the pictures. 

I have done a lot of intarsia with only using different shades of cedar, like they use in fence wood. Whether one is doing segmentation or intarsia, it all works. I don't use many specialty woods either as i can not afford it.

Dick

heppnerguy

21 hours ago, Dragonkort said:

Happy birthday dick!!! now about the intarsha, I don't try it because you have to use different types of wood, what I do try every now and then it the segmented projects... I think its similar but with the segmented projects I can use nice cheap pine and either stain or paint the pictures. 

You can do all kind of intarsia with different shades of western cedar, not expensive and easy to cut.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, rdatelle said:

Dick, what don't you like about it. That looks great. I wish I knew how to do that.

Here is a copy of the first intarsia I ever made. I only used cedar used as fence wood at home Depoe. I choose different tones to give the shades of wood I wanted. you can die the colors to be darker. or use whatever wood you have that may work for you. It is important that you cut very carefully as the different colored wood will be from a different section or piece of wood. It is suggested that you use 3/4 thick wood but not ply wood. Cut all you pieces first. Try to stay on the line when cutting. Then shape your pieces so that they are rounded on the outside edges. Sand where needed so there is no gap between the pieces. The tail should be tapered to a thinner degree then the body for realism. after you have them shaped you can put a dab of glue where the pieces join one another. After they are all dry make a backer board of 1/4 in ply and glue the dolphin to the BB. When dry, put on your finish. The fins of the fish are made with about 3/8 thick pieces. the arrow lines are wood grain direction and initials for for Medium or lighter wood colors. 

If you have any questions just message me, I will be happy to help you.  I can send you a photo of the dolphin I made if you would like to see the colors, I choose for my first one

A little bit of sanding to obtain realism and a final sanding before you put them together. 

Dick

dolf.PNG