Wixey review ?

Ok, so i got this in yesterday, installed it last night and just played with it a little today. First impressions I thought it was little cheap feeling, plastic, light weight. I installed it no issues, and after a 5 cuts i have to say i'm impressed so far. I think further use to see how durable it is and how well it consitently repeats the same size cut. but overall I think it's pretty good. here are some pics and explanations of the install and use.

ok this is what comes in the package. some of the parts won't be used. it has different parts for different models of planers. I have a ridgid 13 planer and it doesn't not fit directly on mine. I had to make some adjustments but nothing major.

11d078fb.jpg

the main component, the measuring computer and arm, comes with double sided tape on the back. You'll remove the factory position indicator and this sticks on top of the factory tape measure. in my case the tape on the component was in the wrong spot so i removed it and put on some new tape. You also have the option of drilling holes in the case and bolting it on perminently. (parts are all included for this). at the very bottom, you can see a stop bolt, there are 3 different lengths depending on your machine, i used the middle size. if you dont' bolt the measuring component to the machine you must use this stop bolt, it keeps it from settleing down below the table height.

there is a bracket that gets bolted on where the old plastic position indicator was. in my case with this Ridgid planer, I could not use the original bolt holes, or at least I used only the top one. I had to drill a hold in the base just above to install the new bolt (drill bit and new bolts included) it was very very easy and straight forward. in the pic below you can see a third hole just below teh bracket, that was the original factory hole. The original screws are too small for the bracket so you just need a washer. (not included) I didn't have any that small but I did have a machine nut that fit perfectly.

b319c625.jpg

this is just a close up of the same above

3fb7ea03.jpg

ok so now on to the cutting of a board. I took a board 4 inches wide, and kept running it through taking just 1/32 of an inch off each time. the planer says one half of a turn on the wheel equals 1/32. and that seemed just about right according to teh digital. I did this 5 times. the last time as you can see in the pic below it sayd the board was 11/32 thick. then I used the wixley to measure the thickness of the board, another feature it has (see the next pic)

bd3a9686.jpg

here you can see that I measured teh board and it says it was teh same thickness 11/32. to measure a board you change the setting from absolute to increment and simply lift the foot and place the board under it, release the foot and when it contacts teh board, you read the guage. it reads a negative number.

7e08ca80.jpg

then I took my dial caliper to measure the board thickness and it was almost dead on accurate to 11/32 or .345 "

f9fef05d.jpg

Like I said i'm impressed with it's accuracy. the only question I'll have next is will it last a long time or break in a year. also how accurate will it be at repeating teh same cut after 100 or even 500 times instead of just the 5 I did tonight.

I'll try to remember to update this in teh future.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful

Mike

This thing is so accurate that I found out the bottom stop on my planer was off. It's supposed to be 1/8 inch or .125 but the Wixey kept stopping at .135, I measured with my dial caliper and sure enough it was off.

Even though that is a very very small error I decided to adjust the stop on the planer.

Now it cuts exactly .125 inches.