Need info on Dewalt 7800

werich

I would like to get started in the hobby and I hope someone could answer this question for me. I have been looking for a good saw and I understand that the DW7800 is a good saw for the money.

I have run across one of these that appears to be in excellent condition and comes with the stand and light.

My question is the saw was purchased new in 2001 would the dw7800 made 10 years ago have the same functions and abilities as a new one? Price is $350.00? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

Bill

Hi:

If it's 10 years old it's probably a type I. These were made in Canada. The newer ones type II are made in Taiwan. They are both identical in operation. The type ones were known for their excellent quality control. The type two's not so much. I purchased a type II about four months ago from Grizzly with no problems. I do a lot of fine detail fret work with it with no complaints.

When buying anything used remember "Caveat Emptor" buyer beware. If you can actually try the saw out before purchasing that would be great. If you're new to scroll saws and you can bring someone that has some experience with you that would be even better. Unfortunately it would take a long post to explain what to look for in the saw. If it's a purchase unseen then you will end up with any problems with the saw. I would suggest waiting a few months to save the money for a new one. This way you have some recourse should there be any problems with the saw.

Hi bill,Not knowing where you live ,usa or else where but if you live in the usa "grizzley .com or grizzley tools .com has a nrand new one for a hundard more dollars with a year garantee. My self would get new but dw788's seem to be pretty relable machines .i got mine used and no problems and it's a type 1.Feel around you loose moveing pieces.i have loose piece sright up front but it cut straigh asan arrow and with no noise.im more than happy.The only thing i don't like about it is the stand is too high and changing the light bulb is very difficult.the blade tenstion is the best around in 8saws i've had.good choice is saws! :)

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I am glad you realized that I was referring to the Dewalt 788. I don't know where "7800" came from (senior moment maybe)?

I think I would be wise to get a new 788 since there is not that much difference in cost. I started to purchase a new one from Grizzley.com for $499.00 which includes stand and light. I did not because I read several bad reviews about Grizzley's customer service and problems people had when they tried to return new saws that did not work properly. Has anyone had any experience along these lines with Grizzley?

Again thank you for the valuable information that the members of this forum provide.

Bill