Belt Sanders

Okay I've been thinking about getting a 4 x 24 belt sander to run on rough cut lumber to knock off the dirt and grime before running through my planer.. I've got a lot of lumber that was given to me but while sitting out stickered it has collected quite a lot of dirt and grime.. I've been using my RO sander to help with this but it's just not going to go as fast as I'd like.. I think a belt sander would work much better.. actually a drum sander is what I really want but at this point out of my price range at the moment.. I could get a cheap 3 x 21 a lot cheaper.. not looking for any top of the line something but hope it'd last long enough to get me by for the remainder of this year.. maybe with some luck Santa will bring me a drum sander, LOL..  Anyway the 4 x 24 I thought would be nicer because 1 the wider path for those wider boards.. and 2 the belts would also work on my Ridgid Oscillating sander too.. Then I don't have to remember more belt sizes, LOL ... But so far the larger one cost way more money so I may settle for the smaller one.. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the size differences and also any experience with specific brands.. HF has the Bauer in the larger size but also on the higher end of the price I was hoping to spend.. since I've never owned or needed a belt sander I've done all these years without.. so now looking as I said.. like to spend maybe $40-50.. but I might have to bite the bullet for the higher priced ones. 

While on the topic of belt sanders.. ever watch the belt sander races? My son and I used to watch these all the time several years ago..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPEliD8ucI  

29 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Okay I've been thinking about getting a 4 x 24 belt sander to run on rough cut lumber to knock off the dirt and grime before running through my planer.. I've got a lot of lumber that was given to me but while sitting out stickered it has collected quite a lot of dirt and grime.. I've been using my RO sander to help with this but it's just not going to go as fast as I'd like.. I think a belt sander would work much better.. actually a drum sander is what I really want but at this point out of my price range at the moment.. I could get a cheap 3 x 21 a lot cheaper.. not looking for any top of the line something but hope it'd last long enough to get me by for the remainder of this year.. maybe with some luck Santa will bring me a drum sander, LOL..  Anyway the 4 x 24 I thought would be nicer because 1 the wider path for those wider boards.. and 2 the belts would also work on my Ridgid Oscillating sander too.. Then I don't have to remember more belt sizes, LOL ... But so far the larger one cost way more money so I may settle for the smaller one.. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the size differences and also any experience with specific brands.. HF has the Bauer in the larger size but also on the higher end of the price I was hoping to spend.. since I've never owned or needed a belt sander I've done all these years without.. so now looking as I said.. like to spend maybe $40-50.. but I might have to bite the bullet for the higher priced ones. 

While on the topic of belt sanders.. ever watch the belt sander races? My son and I used to watch these all the time several years ago..

Wow! Guys will race anything. I've never seen/heard of this before. Must be something from the cold weather states. Looks like fun.

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

There are different circular wire brushes that mount on drills and motors. They have tough wire to brass Maybe one of these could do without putting gouges in the wood.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wire+wheel+brush&ref=nb_sb_noss

Will add Drill brush has grades of brushes for cleaning.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Drillbrush/page/F5733C91-A33F-428E-8474-CD115411E213?ref_=ast_bln

RJF

Edited by teachnlearn

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Wow! Guys will race anything. I've never seen/heard of this before. Must be something from the cold weather states. Looks like fun.

Never seen them in person.. but they use to have them on TV.. Not sure what channel they was on now.. but some channel we used to watch a lot and when I got a new dish I don't think it's in the new package.. seems like maybe RFDTV?? I don't know maybe we still get the channel, Hahaha I don't watch TV and don't even know how to work the thing since the days of actually getting up to switch the channel.. My kids found it and we had a lot of fun watching them..

23 minutes ago, teachnlearn said:

There are different circular wire brushes that mount on drills and motors. They have tough wire to brass Maybe one of these could do without putting gouges in the wood.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wire+wheel+brush&ref=nb_sb_noss

Will add Drill brush has grades of brushes for cleaning.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Drillbrush/page/F5733C91-A33F-428E-8474-CD115411E213?ref_=ast_bln

RJF

Why didn't I think of that.. I have those and use them for a lot of different things in the automotive work.. Never thought to use that on wood, LOL.. I'm going to give this a try before buying a sander 

38 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Why didn't I think of that.. I have those and use them for a lot of different things in the automotive work.. Never thought to use that on wood, LOL.. I'm going to give this a try before buying a sander 

Your welcome, cash donations always welcomed. RJF

52 minutes ago, daveww1 said:

The sander could imbed sanding grit into the wood, not good for planer knives.

Hadn't thought about that.. but now that you mention it I'm also wondering about the wire wheels.. When running them on the car parts many times the wires will come loose and stick in my shirt or coat.. Maybe the cheap ones I buy and also on the cars I use the air drill which spins much faster than my cordless.. maybe I'm running them faster than recommended too.. Maybe I should just invest in a nylon type wheel.. or just wash the boards with a stiff brush, LOL

I for sure use older planer knives when running rough lumber through.. and typically just run them all through just enough to smooth the board.. then I switch to the new knives... to finish up.. This is why I bring this topic up right now..  my knives need to be changed.. have a new set.. but would like to run a bunch of this free rough sawn lumber through before swapping the knives.. Got about 200bft each of Cherry, Walnut, and Maple to run through.. Once run through I'll stack it up in the loft rafters..

I use a 4 1/2" grinder with a coarse flap sanding disc on it. The disc last a fair long time and it gets the job done in fairly short order.  The problem I have had with the wire brushes is after a while they tend to shed some of the bristles and can stuck in you . Just a thought for consideration .

If your set on a belt sander Triton has one that you can clamp upside down as an added feature. When Johnson's Workbench opens backup check them out. I need a new belt sander and that's the one I am going to buy. I just need to do a few blog entries on woodworking for the local woodworking store to get a $25 gift certificate for each one. Since the lockdown they have not  been able to offer Saturday morning demonstrations. The demonstrations is how I picked up $50 dollar gift certificates, so I guess I will have do the blogs.

Edited by Woodmaster1

I purchased the 4x24 Triton belt sander today. I need it for a farmhouse table my daughter wants made. I was all set to buy it from my local woodworking store but they have curbside delivery and wouldn't take cash.  So I saved $8 and ordered it on Amazon. You try to buy local and pay a little extra and they didn't want my cash. So if I had to use a credit card might as save money because I will have it to use before they open backup.