Another Band Saw Question

OCtoolguy

After all the talk regarding bandsaws recently, I thought I'd ask a question in a new topic. I have a Delta 28-206 band saw and I'm thinking about adding the 6" riser block to it. I found this one from Woodstock and I was wondering if anybody on SSV has ever bought/installed one of them on a Delta saw. I think the only real difference in any of the blocks offered by different suppliers is the pin/pin hole locations. I don't see that it would be too difficult to redrill the holes but I thought I'd ask here first. The price is far better than buying the Delta unit. Thanks for any and all advice.

2020-05-18_1901.png

ray, from what i have read online on other forums is it will fit, but the dowel pin holes may not line up. everything else should fit. a friend who is now gone had the riser block in his delta saw. i never felt like it could properly tension a blade. i dont know if the saw flexed or what. i never could do real well resawing with his saw. this is why i am looking for a new or used bandsaw that will only be set up to resaw. IIRC there was something about the bolt being a smaller size on the riser kit and you would have to buy a larger bolt and nut and washers. for me i am going to buy a resaw bandsaw and keep my delta 14 inch for cutting other stuff with smaller blades.

doug

2 hours ago, DME72 said:

ray, from what i have read online on other forums is it will fit, but the dowel pin holes may not line up. everything else should fit. a friend who is now gone had the riser block in his delta saw. i never felt like it could properly tension a blade. i dont know if the saw flexed or what. i never could do real well resawing with his saw. this is why i am looking for a new or used bandsaw that will only be set up to resaw. IIRC there was something about the bolt being a smaller size on the riser kit and you would have to buy a larger bolt and nut and washers. for me i am going to buy a resaw bandsaw and keep my delta 14 inch for cutting other stuff with smaller blades.

doug

I barely have room for what I have Doug. No room for a second bandsaw. Or the budget. But, things might be changing. We are thinking hard about moving to Knoxville area. If that happens it will open up many possibilities. Fingers crossed!

I know I have read where the riser blocks will work from one saw to the next other than the pins as mentioned above..

Here all the talk of resawing and me saying I don't do it.. well with all the lock down crap and my lumber store closed.. Just last week I had two orders for a clock that I make out of thin stock so I had to set up the saw for resawing.. It is certainly nice to have the ability to resaw in a pinch.. and it got me thinking.. I don't use very much thin stock like I used to so that really is the bigger reason I don't resaw.. though it does take time.. especially if you have to keep changing from one set-up to the next...    

Probably going to depend upon what you are making.. But I have resawn 8 - 10 inch more times than 6 inch or less.. Now.. That said.. the majority of resawing  for me.. you are correct.. 6" is quite common for scroll work.. and typically just a good re-saw blade and a fence is all that one would need.. I've mentioned it before but I used to resaw with a small 9" ryobi saw that the max height was only like 4.5 inch.. worked perfect for ornaments and small things.. When I bought my setup it was because of several Cherry trees on my property was in the way of the power lines and they needed to come down.. Power company took them down and cut them up into 3 - 4 ft. length.. I resawed a whole lot of that wood much like George shows in his photo.. After that was gone.. I pretty much buy most my lumber close to size and then plane to what I use.. BUT.. if I do need a 1/4" board.. I do re saw it if the saw is set up.. otherwise the time to set it up is not worth it to me so i just waist it into sawdust and plain it to what I need.. I rarely use thin wood unless it's plywood these days.. I find the thin stuff just setting around cups and warps before I get it use it.. so if I'm messing with solid wood it I try to resaw and use it within a few hours.. otherwise for me.. ply works better.. Most my stuff is 5/8 - 3/4 though.. other than ornaments.. which I now make from ply.. 

It seems that 6" max is always just shy of what you need but rarely ever need more than 7-8" LOL.. Too bad you can't get a 1-2" riser for less money, LOL

Edited by kmmcrafts

I re-saw all the time and I have A delta 28-475X that I added the riser to many years ago. I am surprised that you found a riser.  I frequently cut up to 12".  It has a 1.5 HP. 

Of course the alignment is critical.  How much more is the Delta unit?  It might be worth the extra so that you don't have to mess with it.  If you don't get the alignment right by drilling the holes off location you have just wasted your $90 investment. 

Just comparing pictures of the Delta Vs the one you are looking at the pin locations look the same.  What is their return policy if it doesn't fit? 

Edited by Rolf

6 hours ago, Rolf said:

I re-saw all the time and I have A delta 28-475X that I added the riser to many years ago. I am surprised that you found a riser.  I frequently cut up to 12".  It has a 1.5 HP. 

Of course the alignment is critical.  How much more is the Delta unit?  It might be worth the extra so that you don't have to mess with it.  If you don't get the alignment right by drilling the holes off location you have just wasted your $90 investment. 

Just comparing pictures of the Delta Vs the one you are looking at the pin locations look the same.  What is their return policy if it doesn't fit? 

I haven't gone that far yet Rolf. All of a sudden, my mind has had to switch gears. We have decided to buy a motorhome and we are looking at relocating so I'm in a different mode now.

36 minutes ago, rjweb said:

Ray, you lucky dog, good luck with the move, RJ

This will be our last adventure. We are very long in the tooth but can't stand it here in California any longer. It's just out of control. And living is so much cheaper in other places. We'll never have to pay rent again. We can buy a nice home on property for what our mobile home is worth here. Crazy!

34 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

This will be our last adventure. We are very long in the tooth but can't stand it here in California any longer. It's just out of control. And living is so much cheaper in other places. We'll never have to pay rent again. We can buy a nice home on property for what our mobile home is worth here. Crazy!

Why Knoxville? Not too long ago I was thinking it was Oklahoma. 

35 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Why Knoxville? Not too long ago I was thinking it was Oklahoma. 

Our closest friends moved to Norman, Ok. We went to visit them last October. Thanks but no thanks. We are heading to Tennessee because we have quite a few friends who have moved there over the last few years. Everything we hear about their experiences is leading us in that direction. I heard many years ago about a family who moved to Bristol and absolutely loved it. Then our neighbors retired about 5 years ago and moved there and bought an old home on 11 acres. They now have a small farm with all the animals. That's not for us. We just want to settle down in a real house with a garage and a little ground to park our RV on. I'll build a shop and everything will be wonderful. Until it's not! Lol.

2 hours ago, Woodmaster1 said:

You will not like Tennessee because your commute from home to anywhere won't be long enough to remind you of California. My daughter has lived in Fayetteville area for several years and it is a beautiful state. Good luck on your move!

We came to the realization that great weather is not worth all of the stuff that is wrong.

Ray, I don't blame you for the move.. I could never make it in CA with all the rules etc they have, LOL  I also have to say if you locate to TN I be jealous, LOL My wife and I both say if we ever was to move it be TN area where we'd go.. I wish you much happiness and a nice roomy shop where ever you end up at..