Cleaning Oil Off Of Blades

kmmcrafts

Most times I never seem to get all that much oily blade issues.. and I rarely ever clean them... however today opening up a new pack of blades the oil was almost dripping off of them.. There was no way I was putting them in my storage tubes like that as that oil would spread on the next several batches of blades and probably affect me for several months or years LOL.. So I took the three dozen I had in my hand that was getting ready to go into the tubes and went and grabbed a can of brake cleaner.. I sprayed all the blades still bundled up with the wire wrapping.. A light bulb went off in my tiny brain.. why not spray the whole batch at once like this... maybe some of you do? Back when I used to clean the blades I always did just one at a time as I used them.. Now.. you probably shouldn't do that if you're not using the blades up very fast.. That doesn't seem to be an issue for me with my most commonly used blades.. 

Anyway, I just thought it was easier and faster to spray them clean of oil with a quick spray of brake cleaner.. all three dozen was cleaned in less than a minute, LOL 

Pegas MG #3 blade is the ones I had a lot of oil on.. I'm not certain they came that way though, they was in the zip lock type package that they come in however had been open but it was zipped shut so I'm not sure.. The first bunch of blades I took out didn't seem oily.. I emptied the package today and they was really oiled compared to the normal "slightly oiled"   .. I had a full quart of brake fluid fall off a shelf and broke open, Brand New bottle.. LOL I doubt that got into / on them.. as I was right there when it happen ( I was the cause LOL ) but quickly cleaned it up and the outside of the pack wasn't oily 

I clean mine with some denatured alcohol and a paper towel. Doesn't normally take a lot on normal manufacturing residue . May have to wipe down several times if they are dripping with oil, never experienced that issue. I have read someplace a while ago that mineral spirits works also . Best of luck. 

20 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Pegas MG #3 blade is the ones I had a lot of oil on.. I'm not certain they came that way though, they was in the zip lock type package that they come in however had been open but it was zipped shut so I'm not sure.. The first bunch of blades I took out didn't seem oily.. I emptied the package today and they was really oiled compared to the normal "slightly oiled"   .. I had a full quart of brake fluid fall off a shelf and broke open, Brand New bottle.. LOL I doubt that got into / on them.. as I was right there when it happen ( I was the cause LOL ) but quickly cleaned it up and the outside of the pack wasn't oily 

And I thought that stuff only happened to me. Ha!

On 5/22/2020 at 3:44 PM, kmmcrafts said:

A light bulb went off in my tiny brain.. why not spray the whole batch at once like this... maybe some of you do?  

note to all:

unless ya want to have a LOT of fun, do batches of the SAME blades at once.

its real fun after the,"crap....now i have to figger out what # blades each dozen is" (dim)light bulb goes off AFTER cleaning a few dozen of various # blades.😲

fortunately i had enough wits to NOT take the little wire bundling them up off of each dozen

Edited by tomsteve

4 minutes ago, tomsteve said:

note to all:

unless ya want to have a LOT of fun, do batches of the SAME blades at once.

its real fun after the,"crap....now i have to figger out what # blades each dozen is" (dim)light bulb goes off AFTER cleaning a few dozen of various # blades.😲

fortunately i had enough wits to NOT take the little wire bundling them up off of each dozen

Been there done that once.. Took a little while but I figured it out.. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Most times I never seem to get all that much oily blade issues.. and I rarely ever clean them... however today opening up a new pack of blades the oil was almost dripping off of them.. There was no way I was putting them in my storage tubes like that as that oil would spread on the next several batches of blades and probably affect me for several months or years LOL.. So I took the three dozen I had in my hand that was getting ready to go into the tubes and went and grabbed a can of brake cleaner.. I sprayed all the blades still bundled up with the wire wrapping.. A light bulb went off in my tiny brain.. why not spray the whole batch at once like this... maybe some of you do? Back when I used to clean the blades I always did just one at a time as I used them.. Now.. you probably shouldn't do that if you're not using the blades up very fast.. That doesn't seem to be an issue for me with my most commonly used blades.. 

Anyway, I just thought it was easier and faster to spray them clean of oil with a quick spray of brake cleaner.. all three dozen was cleaned in less than a minute, LOL 

I have never experience blades with obvious oil on them. I have found since I changed my clamp inserts I have never had a blade slip on me since, I will continue to do a bi yearly insert change on my clamps now. However if I do get blades with a noticeably amount of oil on them, I will use your tip anyway. Great idea. That is one of the things I love about The Village.....new ideas and people that share them with everyone else. We can all learn from each other here

Dick

heppnerguy

21 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Been there done that once.. Took a little while but I figured it out.. 

it was a lot easier than knockin my blade storage off the bench. sorting the spirals and straight baldes was easy. sorting the numbers of them blades?

close was good enough.🤣 i narrowed it down to ,"thats under a 5 and thats over a 5."