Finishing question

Just finished cutting this for a client. I showed him some finish samples today, and he really likes the Minwax Early American. To get in all the letters and a smooth finish (as much as possible) I think I need to dip it. I'll pick up a quart as I don't have enough in the shop, and dip it in a tin pie plate. 

I normally use Minwax Pre-Stain to help smooth out the top coat. Any other tips or tricks to a stain dip? Never tried dipping with stain, always just brushed it on.

I glued up the three pieces of the card holder...and left the base and big piece separate in case I needed to dip in a smaller container. 

Dip first, then glue up when dry...or glue up, then pour the stain over the complete piece over a pan...?   

After stain is applied and dry would you top coat ? With what?

The Rustic Wrench.jpg

Hey Gary, you didn’t mention what kind of wood you used. It looks like Walnut, but I’m not sure. Regardless, it definitely looks like a hardwood. I never stain hardwoods as I like the natural look of most hardwoods. What I would do is use a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. Soaking in the oil for a few minutes will bring out the natural grain and color of the wood. Then when dry, you can apply a topcoat of your choice. To test what the wood will look like with the oil, spritz on some mineral spirits. This is what the oil will do to the wood. 
one thing to consider is the end grain will soak in more stain than the flat grain. If you soak in stain, all the inside cuts will come out darker. Even if you use a pre stain.