A couple of projects

RabidAlien

Horses are an H. Botas pattern that was posted on his Facebook page.  Backer is, of course, reclaimed pallet wood (sawzaw with a metal-cutting blade, then a Phillips screwdriver and hammer to pop the nail heads out, sand the whole thing with 80-grit to clean off the grunge and...stuff, then a couple of pieces across the back to hold them together).  Backer is stained Minwax Honey, horses are Weathered Oak.  I did put a second coat on the middle slat of the left-hand backer, it seemed kinda light to me, and the horse kinda disappears into it.  After the second coat, it looks MUCH better, greater contrast.

The planes...well, I'm a military history geek, so when I saw this pattern pop up in one of Steve Good's newsletters, I had to do it.  :)  Stains (all Minwax) are "Honey", "cherry red", "grey", and "classic navy".  Back piece has a light coat of rattlecan matte white.

20200705_220719.jpg

20200707_202934.jpg

8 hours ago, Fred Kile said:

Well done arraignment and composition. Love the colors of the air planes. The horse presentation is great!

I wasn't too sure on the stain when I originally put it down on the planes, but after it dried (and was a lot less glossy....plus a layer of sanding dust that blew over it...oops...), I'm happy with it.  Good color, but you still get the wood grain showing through.

Edited by RabidAlien