Just found the Motherlode of exotic woods.

tbphotos

Several weeks ago on Craigslist I found a guy advertising some exotic woods for sale. Today I phoned him and asked him if he still had any left.. he began to laugh and said why don't you come over and have a look. I have black walnut, cherrywood, oak, green poplar, mahogany, purpleheart, ash, you name it. I drove over there (about 15 minutes from home). A beautiful large home with 2-car garage, when his wife opened the garage door, the entire garage was jammed packed full of large cartons of wood of every description. Only narrow passage ways to get around this wood. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Then he said "I've got more in here". He took me into his basement and the entire basement was full of more cartons of exotic woods. I didn't know where to start looking, but finally found two large cartons of various kinds, all about 2 to 3 feet in length and perfect thicknesses for scrolling and intarsia work. When I asked him where he got all this beautiful wood, he replied "A friend of mine who is now deceased was a fine craftsman, carpenter and cabinetmaker. He built my house for me, now I'm trying to sell his stockpile of wood for him to help out his widow". After finding the 2 cartons that I wanted, I could barely lift the boxes to put them in my car they were so heavy. When I asked him how much, he said he was open to reasonable offers. I offered him $20 per box and he was happy, and so was I. When I left he told me to keep his phone number and to call him anytime I wanted more. I was already having a good day in my shop, but going over there made it even a better day. This was a really great find.

Trevor