Hawk model 220VS

BadBob

It's an old saw.. Guessing 1990 -92 area.. Has the motor that has some problems.. Has the weaker hollowed out arms on it ( though I've never heard of issues with those arms they made a point about them being weak in on of their video ads about a newer saw with stronger arms )... This saw being older will have the round barrel style lower blade holders.. nothing wrong with them but many people either loved or hated them for some reason.. I have one of these saws.. and I have no issues with it over any of my newer saws with other styles of blade holders.... Make note that those blade holders cost about $20 each.. and while you really only need one.. but having more with preloaded blades is really nice... 

I know you mentioned you was thinking about making an offer.. I know people see a Hawk at a price of $250 - 600 and automatically think it's a deal because a new one is $1200 -1400.. But there is a lot of upgrades on the new saws. while they "look" the same to the average joe... they are far from it.. There is not really much to go wrong with these other than just normal wear.. and these old ones did have the motor problems.. which can cost $350 to repair.. That saw to me.. on a good day is probably a $300 saw if it was in like new condition.. and I'm talking like brand new condition.. Many other folks on the FB groups etc will say it's a steal at the $300 ish price... but they don't know the difference between these very old saws to the newer models that are almost always available in the same price range.

So with all that said.. personally if you're stuck on wanting it.. $200 -250 is where I'd be offering at best.. maybe $300 or better if there is actually proof that it's never been used.. But there are way too many newer Ultra models out there with the good motors and better user friendly upgrades in the same price range.. 

keep looking. deals are out there but you might have to drive a few hours to get one.several weeks ago i bought a bushton BM26 saw. not like new but pretty good shape for $400. i dont think it has had 20 hours of use.  had to drive about 3 hours away to pick up, but was a good road trip with my son. change the location on the FB marketplace and search for hawk scroll saw, excalibur and hegners are great saws also.if you bring a small socket set with you the legs pop right off and the whole saw will fit in the trunk of a car.keep looking you will find a good saw.

doug

Well I just bought a hawk 226vs, for 225$.  After about many months of following these forums i thought i was going to buy a cheapo  HF, Wen , something like that, but i paid a little more for some old iron. I hope it doesn't turn into a boat anchor. I have it in the garage right now , i just brought it home and cleaned it up some. It looks almost new, no dings ,scratches. It looks like it was not used much. The blade on it was bent, very very thin blade many teeth. So i have to get some more blades. I have been working wood now for 55 years, i think i worked myself up to a beginner. The saw will live in my basement where it is warm in winter and cool in summer. But i have to wait till my step son comes over to help me carry it down. Hope he brings is son who is part gorilla, what a guy. Pics will follow, my phone is charging. I will be calling on you guys for help.  Thanks,  Carl 

20200802_112540 hawk.jpg

Edited by carl1
picture

Mine is also a 1993... but it doesn't have the hollowed out arms.. and my serial number is quite a lot higher than the one shown in the ad for this one.. I have put a lot of hours on mine.. not sure why I felt I needed to buy two more newer Hawks.. I did have a surging motor when I first got mine and thought it was going bad.. took the switch box apart and blew the dust out of it and I've not had any issues since.. and like you say.. it just keeps going and going.. I do use mine at least a few times a week.. and was my main production saw for at least 1.5 years..

I wouldn't be scared to buy this one if the price was right.. I just said all the other things to point them out.. If one could get it at around half the asking price or close to that.. it's worth it provided the motor has no issues which is really the biggest downfall of these older saws..  Parts are still available.. I just feel a newer saw is a better choice for the price range of this one. 

The seller claims it has never been used. Other than looking for signs like table wear, how can you tell?

I have an older Hawk two-speed model I purchased for $100 several years ago. I spent a good bit on it to get it up to speed. I was considering replacing it with this one, but after reading all the posts here, I probably will not buy it. My old one works fine and has all of its issues fixed. I don't need the variable speed, and I might be buying another project. I don't need that.  

My current thinking is that the only way I would buy it is to get it crazy cheap.

Thanks to all for the input.

On the Hawks it's really kinda hard to tell how much a saw has been used.. A really well used saw would have a worn wedge at the back of the saw.. The wedge is under the tension adjuster at the back of the saw.. it should be quite pointed edge on it.. not rounded at all.. another thing to look for is the front tension cam lever.. It should meet resistance before it touches the arm without a blade installed flip the lever back.. if there is no resistance before it meets the arm then the saw has been used.. NOW.. the newer saws have an adjustment set screw directly below where the lever goes through the arm.. Older saws like this one doesn't have that set screw.. but there is a upgrade available for around $50 to get the newest version for the adjustable one..  

On 8/1/2020 at 6:50 PM, carl1 said:

Well I just bought a hawk 226vs, for 225$.  After about many months of following these forums i thought i was going to buy a cheapo  HF, Wen , something like that, but i paid a little more for some old iron. I hope it doesn't turn into a boat anchor. I have it in the garage right now , i just brought it home and cleaned it up some. It looks almost new, no dings ,scratches. It looks like it was not used much. The blade on it was bent, very very thin blade many teeth. So i have to get some more blades. I have been working wood now for 55 years, i think i worked myself up to a beginner. The saw will live in my basement where it is warm in winter and cool in summer. But i have to wait till my step son comes over to help me carry it down. Hope he brings is son who is part gorilla, what a guy. Pics will follow, my phone is charging. I will be calling on you guys for help.  Thanks,  Carl 

20200802_112540 hawk.jpg

My first little project on the new to me hawk scroll saw. I started thinking about scrolling just before last Easter and printed this pattern off of Steve Good's site. Kinda crude but i will improve, learned a lot. I have not used a scroll saw since the early 70's. Nothing like this, back then it was just furniture parts. I have a long way to go. I really like this saw even if it is 25-30 years old. Most of my stuff is from early nineties and earlier

20200807_083433 bunny.jpg

Congratulations on your new to you Hawk. I hear they are great saws. I have cut that bunny pattern. Nice work on him. The more you cut, the more you learn, the better you get. Keep cutting and sharing your work Nothing we like more around here then hearing about folks getting new toys, err tools, 😉 and seeing what they are cutting. 

9 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Nice job Carl.  Scrolling does take practice.  You develop a feel. Just keep at.  Don't be afraid to experiment (woods, blade sizes, blade types, different type projects,......  ).  

BTW I would probably have used a #3 blade.

Yes i know that now, I think that was my mistake. Some of the holes were to small, but i could not go any bigger b/c it would have been bigger then the space allotted for the opening. That day i went to lowes i could not find any blades. Went to HF, they only had pins, same story at HD finally, 1/2 mile from the house, true value had two types, spiral and the #7 skip tooth. i got the last pack. After 2 hours of driving around.  Sooooo needless to say i ordered some from Pegas , spiral  and a couple packs of the lower #s, for now. Thanks for supporting my thought, at least i know i was half right. The saw is still on my Black and Decker work bench in the garage. Once i get it downstairs and set up they way i want it will be a lot more comfortable. Carl