Inkscape Printing Problems

smitty0312

I haven't printed anything from Inkscape since last fall before my accident.....I got my printer up and going in the shop today.......started to print a pattern I made & the image gets cut off at top no matter where it is on the page......I've googled......I've uninstalled & re-installed the program.....tried other versions......no luck......anybody else having problems using Inkscape? I printed a MS Word page & it worked fine. I'm losing my patience! I've tried saving it as a PDF too....top line of box is not printing.......HELP!!!! Please!!

image.thumb.png.384a8781ea96ad614e35f24e5ba9c12a.pngPrint.thumb.jpg.2fa3eb269abc86f29d2e5eed3dbe4905.jpg

Edited by smitty0312

1 hour ago, jollyred said:

I don't know how to solve your problem, but one work around might be to print to pdf, then see if that works.  If it is correct, then the problem is with your printer reading Inkscape.  You might need to download new drivers for it.  And you can print the pattern from the pdf file.

Tom

The pic on the left is the PDF.....the printed results on the left.......it's a head scratcher

I had a similar problem with one of the patterns here. A flamingo dancer napkin holder. The paper size was A4 and just would not print without cutting off part of the pattern, my eventual fix was to print the pattern on an 11 x 17 paper. anything else would screw up the proportions of the pattern.

I even made some A4 paper and it still didn't print right.

All printers do not print to the edge of the paper. The unprintable area varies. I allow for a 1/4-inch margin all the way around.

You also need to clean up and convert any scanned images to SVG using the "Trace Bitmap" function before printing them.

Occasionally, patterns will be to light in color to print correctly. I see this a lot in patterns that are grey on white or have thin lines.

It's not magic. If it doesn't print as you want, it is most likely that some adjustment needs to be made to your pattern.

12 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Inkscape has been one of my life's failures. No matter how much I study and watch the turorials, I cannot make it do what I want it to do. I'm one of those people who needs a classroom atmosphere so I can ask questions and get prompt answers. I've had better luck with Gimp but not much.

There is a learning curve to it.......I struggled at 1st.......watched hours of videos.......I've been making patterns for last 5yrs or so with it.......I'ts gratifying making your own patterns......I even designed this yard swing I built 3yrs ago with Inkscape.......

Swing.jpg

Edited by smitty0312
Wrong Picture

7 hours ago, BadBob said:

All printers do not print to the edge of the paper. The unprintable area varies. I allow for a 1/4-inch margin all the way around.

You also need to clean up and convert any scanned images to SVG using the "Trace Bitmap" function before printing them.

Occasionally, patterns will be to light in color to print correctly. I see this a lot in patterns that are grey on white or have thin lines.

It's not magic. If it doesn't print as you want, it is most likely that some adjustment needs to be made to your pattern.

Made a new layer.....moved it to the top......done & fixed......I tried everything else under the sun.....just happy I discovered this