Re-posting Patterns

Travis

This is just a reminder not to post patterns that you didn't specifically design yourself. I found one of my patterns on another community. While the member who posted it meant well, it very frustrating for a designer to see their patterns posted by others. We work very hard to provide free quality patterns. Please respect the fact, as artists, we want to control our distribution of our designs. I've known many talented pattern designers remove all their work from the internet because others are re-posting their patterns or passing them off as their own. Then we all lose.

The best way to share someone else's pattern is to simply link them to where the requester can download it for themselves. When linking, link to the page that has the download link. Please don't hotlink to the actual file, though. Hotlinking is where you link to the specific file. The person who clicks the link doesn't actually go to the hosting website, but rather directly to the file. This is an unethical practice that is considered bandwidth theft. Its basically the same as re-posting the pattern.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the letter "A" and the number "3." And now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Just for the record, I do not allow re-posting of my patterns. All of the patterns I have designed reside on a website I own. Even though I have several scroll saw websites, they usually reside on either Scroll Saw Village or Scroll Saw Goodies. I always have the URL posted on the bottom of the pattern where it is available. So if where you downloaded it from is different than the URL on the bottom of the pattern, chances are they don't have permission to host that file. Since its a big world out there, if you stumble across one of my patterns on another website, please let me know. I'd be forever in your debt. ;)

I'm with you all the way, and support all artists rights. It is a great privelage to have the Pattern Library available to me. All I make and sell without permission are from pattern books that are avaliable at any library or book store any where in many nations. Beyond that your steppin' on someones toes in a very rude manner..I am glad you posted this Travis, I am always up for a some education to paint a better picture in my own mind.

Well Said sir, Mark