New Toy!

OzarkSawdust

Got a new toy yesterday! A DeWalt DWS779 compound sliding miter saw, and a Delta rolling miter saw stand.

I've been wanting one for a while, and trying to talk myself into spending the $599 - 629 for it. I've been looking at the DWS780 that list $629 but can be bought most everywhere for $599. Then I saw an article that compared it to the DWS779, same saw with different light. The 780 has two lights that create a shadow where the blade is, cool, where the 779 has a laser, also cool. The 779 is priced everywhere at $549 and I was thinking of paying the $50 to have the blade shadow...till I saw the 779 at HD for $389...$160 less!! 

I didn't care for the way the DeWalt rolling stand ($229) folded, HD had a nice Rigid rolling stand ($219) But then I checked Lowe's. They had a Delta rolling, stand just like the Rigid, for $189...$30 less. But the 779 was priced at the normal $549. So I called the manager and talked, shamed, him into matching HD...LOL. So I hit the highway, and about 45min. later I had a new toy, and saved a little over $190 on the setup ( I get a little discount at Lowes for being a veteran).

NOW... I need your input.

I was so happy with the price that it didn't dawn on me that it's mainly a "construction" saw...and came with a 32T general construction blade. While it's a nice blade that would be great for 2x4, 2x6, and 4x4s it would make a mess of the types of wood we all use...LOL. So I'm just going to order a blade from Amazon and save the drive.

I'm thinking Carbide Tip...? Also out of the normal 60T, 80T, 100T, and I think there's even a 120T I'm thinking a 80T would give me a very smooth cut on all the types of wood we use. If I build something else from 2x4s or the like I'll just throw the 32T back on. What blade do you think? 

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

Edited by OzarkSawdust

Nice score.  If you are just going to use it to just cut down stock almost any blade will do.  If you seriously plan do a lot of finish work like cutting molding or making miters for picture frames you really need a blade made specifically for a sliding miter saw.  It has to do with the angle of the teeth.  You also want a blade with more vs less teeth to get a nice clean edge.  Pay the extra and get a carbide or at least carbide tipped blade.  I have this blade on mine and I really like it.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ka12106/ 

The absolute best saw blades I ever had were my Forrest blades. I had the 40 tooth Woodworker II, the dado set and the 100 tooth for my 12 inch Dewalt miter saw. At least I think it was 100 tooth. Anyway, my point is, if you can afford them, they are the best that I ever came across. Sadly, they all got sold when we went fulltime RVing. Now, I live with whatever I find that I can afford.

I went with the 100T 12" version of the one Karl put up. It should be a fine blade at a good price. If I find, down the road, that I really need a better, higher quality blade...I can always change it. It came in today and I put it on tonight. Sometime tomorrow I'll plug it in and bring life to the saw for the first time!

Thanks for the info everyone!!