Stack Cut

OzarkSawdust

I kind of liked the idea of pinning a stack of BB ply to cut. I have a pneumatic nail gun, but it is 16GA and 1" and larger. So I checked my electric staple gun and found that it will shoot 18GA. So I found some 5/8" and stacked 4 1/8" BB ply, slapped a Bobby Riggs pattern, "In My Life" and nailed it! Tried to grind/file the small points, but ended up smacking them with a hammer! They stuck up a little on the top side of the pattern, but worked ok. I kind of liked the way it worked, and with more practice should be my go to method of stacking.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Edited by OzarkSawdust

They look great but I'm curious, what is wrong with double stick tape?

I recently cut a dragon vase where all four sides was exactly the same.  Stacked four pieces of 1/4" thick solid walnut using double stick tape.  Just tiny pieces of tape in the scrap area between layers. The four panels came out identical with out hardly any deburring or sanding needed.

Still a newbie, but Iwould have thought this would be the most appropriate way of holding layers together.

Both methods are effective. I don’t like the idea of nails in my wood for obvious reasons. I have used double stick tape but difficult to separate. I use two different methods. If I’m cutting portraits where I need the whole wood blank, I’ll use blue painters tape on the edges of the blanks. If I’m cutting items from the inside of the blanks like ornaments, I’ll use a hot glue gun and apply a bead of hot glue on the edges of the blanks. I’ll usually clamp the stack to keep the edges tight, then glue.

Your cutting is excellent Gary!

Edited by dgman

I usually nail them together.  Putting the nails to the outside of the pattern gives a good hold, and there are no nail holes to contend with.  I use a 23ga pin nailer, with 3/8" or longer pins.  I just use a file to smooth any ends that stick out.  It's on the back, so any scuffing from the file won't show.

Tom