A few new cuts and a new frame process....

new2woodwrk

I just starting to make frames again the first one was useable but not perfect so I boufht a framing strap and the 2nd one came out real good I bought the strap from amazon for $16 inc. tax.free shiping. and Il used the brad nailer to make sure it holda up OK and filled in the nail holes with wood filler . (amazingKevin I am sorry about no pictures just take my word for it)

IKE

5 minutes ago, ike said:

I just starting to make frames again the first one was useable but not perfect so I boufht a framing strap and the 2nd one came out real good I bought the strap from amazon for $16 inc. tax.free shiping. and Il used the brad nailer to make sure it holda up OK and filled in the nail holes with wood filler . (amazingKevin I am sorry about no pictures just take my word for it)

IKE

Sweet - I use a strap clamp as well.

Also I used to use brads but now I just glue them and it works much better. Specially if you have good edges.

11 minutes ago, Dragonkort said:

nice stuff!!! i try to stay away from making frames...for some reason no matter how careful i am the first 3 sides come out good but 4th never seems to fit lol 

Keep Trying! They're really not that difficult once you get the secrets/techiniques down.

What you describe is usually caused by cutting the pieces separately.

I always use my table saw for frames. I can't seem to get exact angles with my miter saw.

Also made a jig to cut the angles so they are always the same.

I always cut the top and bottom as one piece (think stacking) and the left and right sides as one piece.

That way they are always the exact same length - that's the biggest secret to frames ;)

Sometimes I'll use a stop block if I'm making more than one frame and cut multiple sides and reset the stop block for the remainders.

I usually also cut them too large, approximately 1/8-1/4", and trim to the proper width and height (again stacking). Much easier to cut to the size, then trying to cut the size correctly from the beginning.

ok let me see if i understand what your saying......you stack cut the top and bottom together and then stack cut both sides together.....IF i can manage to make frames that would be great!!!  you see when i was younger i did a LOT of hand emboridy....and of course there all folded up in a plastic bag in a box. lol  it would be great if i could make frames for them.  I only have one of my hand emboridys framed....a girl i worked with husband framed it for me.... it looks so nice!!  but he didnt do angled corners... he cut to side pieces and a top and bottom to form a large rectangle i wish there were other sights llike this one for the other crafts i do.... i miss showing them to someone.... i used t show mom all my stuff...ah well. im going to try to highlight your instructions and copy them if it works great and if not i think i can remember what you said lol THANKS!!!

15 minutes ago, Dragonkort said:

ok let me see if i understand what your saying......you stack cut the top and bottom together and then stack cut both sides together.....IF i can manage to make frames that would be great!!!  you see when i was younger i did a LOT of hand emboridy....and of course there all folded up in a plastic bag in a box. lol  it would be great if i could make frames for them.  I only have one of my hand emboridys framed....a girl i worked with husband framed it for me.... it looks so nice!!  but he didnt do angled corners... he cut to side pieces and a top and bottom to form a large rectangle i wish there were other sights llike this one for the other crafts i do.... i miss showing them to someone.... i used t show mom all my stuff...ah well. im going to try to highlight your instructions and copy them if it works great and if not i think i can remember what you said lol THANKS!!!

There are many ways to make frames - the ones in my picture are angle cut (45 degrees).

The ones you describe from your friends husband sounds like either a half lap or pocket hole joined frame. The pocket hole frame is supposed to be one of the easiest, but not for me.

The half lap, is a fairly difficult cut if you haven't done it before, but once you do one it does get easier.

I just happen to enjoy the angled cut frames because that's how I set myself up. I have done half lap and like them, but they take more time. As for the pocket hole joined, you should have the pocket hole maker like from Kreg to make the hole easier. It also requires special screws - I'm not really into the "needs special" kind of work myself.

I made a tutorial a while back that may help ( or may confuse you more), here's a link to it if you;re interested (It's in 5 parts):