Finishing

Oli69

4 hours ago, Oli69 said:

hi guys, how do you manage to finish an item with no lumpy bumpy saw lines ?

A few pics would sure help.

However, are you describing the edges of a cut? If I'm not mistaken, that is usually caused by starting and stopping during a cut. In other words, not cutting smoothly. Used to happen to me quite a bit when I first started.

Otherwise, not sure what you are referring to... Need pics.

5 hours ago, Oli69 said:

I think you may have answered my question, so basically don't stop and start cut in one line, thank you. Heres a pic anyway.

20200831_215634.jpg

That's what I thought. Yes, happened to me quite a bit. Still does once in a while just not as much.

Others much more experienced than I will probably chime in at some point - lots of great people/cutters here with years of knowledge to share!

Sanding will fix that and get the "bumps" out :)

Thanks for sharing

smooth cutting is definitely the answer.  Try to make cuts like this in one continuous motion.  Every time you stop and start, you will leave a mark - especially if you have to reposition your hands.  Look at a cut like this before you start feeding into the blade and put your hands in a position where you can continue the cut in one motion - sometimes I have to start with my hand/arm twisted a little bit in preparation for a long curve.  The less you have to move your hands around, the better your results will be. Oh - and lots of practice will help too :)

15 hours ago, Oli69 said:

I think you may have answered my question, so basically don't stop and start cut in one line, thank you. Heres a pic anyway.

20200831_215634.jpg

It looks like you are "chasing" the pattern line. Try not to do that. Just keep cutting and if you veer off the line gradually bring the blade back on to the line. Once the pattern is removed, nobody but you will know that it was altered a bit. Something we've all had to learn.