Thickness Planer

tbphotos

post-4970-134955575831_thumb.jpgUp until last Tuesday, I was one power tool away from greatness, but that is no longer the case.. picked up a 12.5" thickness planer on Craigslist for $90. It had been in storage for over a year, needed a little lubrication on the 4 lift columns and and crank screws, but now it runs like a top.. and has reversible blades as well. Wood chips ahoy!

Your neighbors will think your mulching tree's :rofl: mine is real noisey Guess they all are . A glorified jumbo router! never use mine yet but needed too yesterday and today but was scared at what the neighbors would think ! ha ha I did turn it on once when i got it .you really need ear plugs .they say it'll scater chocklate chips everywhere.The grass loves it as long as it's not mdf or plywood cause of the glue in it.Free mulch! :) nice treasure you found trevor!Good hunting .P.S.don't trim your finger nails with it.!

word of warning , if you plane walnut don't use the chips for mulch , it will kill the grass. look around a walnut tree and theres no grass it has a toxic resin in it and it's also bad for you so wear a respirator or mask.

sully

It will also kill chickens or so claims an Amish wood working friend. He has a set up to separate walnut shavings and sawdust from all the other woods because it killed all his chickens one time. Not sure what it might do to squirrels, birds or pets.

DW

word of warning , if you plane walnut don't use the chips for mulch , it will kill the grass. look around a walnut tree and theres no grass it has a toxic resin in it and it's also bad for you so wear a respirator or mask.

sully

It will also kill chickens or so claims an Amish wood working friend. He has a set up to separate walnut shavings and sawdust from all the other woods because it killed all his chickens one time. Not sure what it might do to squirrels, birds or pets.

DW

The cabinet/ mill shop I buy my wood from saves all their chips/ dust for a farmer, but can't mix in walnut with it. It will kill a horse, or seriuosly hurt them.

Great find for a great price! I use mine a lot. Noisy? You bet. If you have a dust/chip port on it, use it. I connect mine to the shop vac otherwise, as Kevin said, chips everywhere. My next major purchase will be a dust collector.

Only in my dreams can I shave this piece of maple to the 1/8 inch I need it.. Nice find . OR how about putting a scheen on those {9" by 9"} rafters beams...Nice find...

Or how about a "real " 2 by 4...Nice find....

Or how about segmentation..gotta have some square and precise edges there...Nice find

on and on I could go.. Nice Find. Have funnnnn

sully

Walnut is dangerous to humans too. Don't ever make a toy that a child may put in their mouth. :cry:

With regard to the thicknesser - good on ya. I've had a Dewalt for a few years and boy! it really is noisy but it certainly does the job. I put some elm through it a couple of weeks ago and I was up to my knees in chips in no time. As I try to cut the noise down for my neighbours I try to do it in my wood shed - found some interesting bits of wood after I'd cleared the 5 bin bags of chippings out of it. :lol:

H