Cleaning up

RabidAlien

7 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Decided that I had too many projects sitting around, taped up and pilot holes drilled, waiting for a blade, and I'd keep putting another cool project on top of the stack to work on next.  They were doing nothing but catching dust, so I put all the other projects on hold and started cutting these.  Two are Sam Custodio patterns (the round 2nd Amendment and the round trivet/optical illusion), the word-within-word is one of mine.  Found some fragile spots (center of the "P" and "R", and the "o" in storms) while sanding.  The "o" glued back okay, but the "R" didn't want to glue straight no matter what I did.  3/4" whiteboard on all three patterns, really soft wood so it wasn't really a surprise to have a couple of breaks.  Just be careful while sanding, or use harder wood.  Or both.  :)  #3 and #5 Pegas MG blades.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

20200912_203304.jpg

20200913_172925.jpg

20200913_173138.jpg

20200913_173153.jpg

Those are nice

Those are REALLY cool .. 

Question - When making a trivit out of wood - that's for putting HOT stuff on, right ? What do you do to keep the wood from discoloring or burning when you put .. say .. a hot pan of spaghetti sauce on it, or something. (I chose the sauce just to see if I could spell it right hahhahaha) ....

Being in wine country (Sonoma County, California - which is COUNTY ON FIRE country now) I make shapes and put wine corks in them .. afraid to have hot stuff sit on the wood.

Maddie and the Trivits.jpg

Guitar Trivit.jpg

My trivets are pretty much called "trivets" for convenience sake, cuz "eye-jarring wall-hanging optical tactical nuke" is too hard to type out.  :)  I know there are finishes for putting hot items on wood, can't remember if you're supposed to use beeswax or BLO or shellac or poly or what.  The couple I've made and labeled as "trivet", my wife has hung on the wall and never put even a coffee cup on top of, much less scorching hot pans. 

I  enjoyed viewing all your projects. If I had one suggestion it would be on the work art... I think you would be wiser to choose a more bold lettering for the main word as it would give you more support for the smaller ones and it just might help with the breakage problem you are having

Dick

heppnerguy