My latest Projects

DWSUDEKUM

Fantastic work. I for one would some additional information on your corian bowl. Like how many peices did you use to create it? What did you use to assemble it? You know the basics, How did you make it so you see (at least in the pictures) no joints? Just give us the step by step LOL

Fantastic work. I for one would some additional information on your corian bowl. Like how many peices did you use to create it? What did you use to assemble it? You know the basics, How did you make it so you see (at least in the pictures) no joints? Just give us the step by step LOL

Step 1 - Purchase a fairly large piece of 1/2 thick corian ( color of your choice )

Step 2 - Tape the surface and then glue the pattern to it.

Step 3 - Very important - be very accurate on the angle that you cut the rings as the closer the rings fit the less sanding you will have to do. Corain makes a TON of baby powder looking dust when sanded so wear a mask.

Step 4 - Since most Corain does not have a grain to worry about unlike wood you can be a little less precise in gluing the rings together. Since Corain is acrylic most normal glue will not glue it well. Unlike wood you are trying to melt the two pieces together chemically. Surprisingly enough this is very difficult to do but a gelled super glue does do the job quite nicely. Wash the surface that you wish to glue with alcohol to remove any oils before you try to glue it. Wear rubber gloves as you do not want the oils from you hands on the gluing surface. You will have about 20 seconds or so to align the ring when gluing it when using the gelled super glue so stage your work and be sure you are ready for this step before proceeding.

Step 5 - Once glued set the bowl aside for at least 24 hrs so that the super glue has time to set totally and be the strongest it can be.

Step 6 - Sanding time! You really really should wear a dust mask with this step and take your time when sanding. Corian sands easily BUT to get a real good finish on it you will have to do so much more sanding. Here is a typical sequence on the sand paper grit that I used. I started off with 80 grit to roughen out the shape, then 120 grit to define it better, then 220 grit to get it reasonable smooth, 400 grit to really get it smooth. You have a choice here to put a finish on it or not. Since Corian is a plastic and most finishes do not stick well to it. It is possible to get a mirror like finish on Corain though just by sanding using grits all the way to 6000. Yes there really is a 6000 grit sandpaper. It is generally used in aviation to polish out an imperfections in a plastic window. For most of us 400 - 600 is fine though.

If it all worked out as planned and you did a good job on gluing the rings together you will not see except at very close examination the rings.

For the bowl I did there were 3 rings.

DW

DW, first let me say that you do very nice work, this bowl is exceptional. I would like to know if they are washable, what I mean is can they sit in a water and soap solution or a dishwasher and not separate the layers? And is this bowl with the bottom glued in place only an inch deep? This is very interesting, thanks for sharing it with us all.

Len

Len,

The Corian bowl is 1 1/2 tall on the outside dimension. There are 3 1/2 inch thick layers that were used to make the bowl. If you hand wash it no problem. . . .not sure about the dishwasher though. Not sure how the CA glue would hold up to the temps in the dishwasher :) The bowl rings no problem . . .they make counter tops for the stuff. The water gets so much hotter and so does the dry cycle so I would hand wash the bowl.

DW